Best wood for a pestle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwminnich

New User
Dave
OK... so "best" may be going overboard, but I'll be turning a pestle for a friend and am thinking through some options. First, this will see a LOT of use, both wet and dry (think grinding spices and mixing curries). Because it will be in contact with food, I need to avoid woods that are allergenic and those that are very porous. It seems like those and hardness are the three primary considerations here, with attractiveness being a distant fourth.

So far I'm thinking of lignum vitae, which will be plenty hard, but I don't know anything about using it in contact with food. Anyone have any suggestions based on previous experience? If there were a domestic wood (hornbeam?) that would be a good option, I'd prefer that, but anything would be on the table.

Thanks,

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
lignum vitae is used to make tea, is supposed to be a healing potion. Wood of Life is literal translation of lignum vitae.

Should make a great pestle.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
What is the mortar made of and is it smooth or ridged? In the labs, we use to have mortars with a wood handle and a ceramic head on it.

aplpickr

New User
Bill
The natural oiliness of LV might be a problem. I would use good 'ol Maple. Not the prettiest, but no bad flavor, very stable, and cheap!

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Me personally, I would go with Hard Maple. It's easy to machine, high Janka hardness, not very porous and easy to obtain. While LV would beat it out, I would be concerned with the oil of the wood imparting a flavor into spices. I do believe a black and white ebony would also suit your needs and look very attractive but it is slightly more porous in the end grain than HM. That difference wouldn't probably be noticeable by the end user provided sanding is very fine.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Desert Ironwood might be a good choice. It machines well and can have an attractive pattern.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I use LV for my espresso tamp. I like the look, weight and fact that it does not require any finish.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412898629.671330.jpg

Oh and it is pretty much impervious to water!
Salem

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Dogwood is very hard (much harder than hard maple) and a favorite among turners. It is listed as non-allergenic and has small-to-medium pores. It is not, however, listed as being rot-resistant. However, like a cutting board, a good soaking in a mineral oil/beeswax blend may take care of that. Now I want to try it :)

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Another nice thing about dogwood is that it won't get splinters as it wears. Textile mills used to use dogwood for the spindles because they wouldn't snag the thread.

Roy G

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
you could try persimmon. it is the only north american tree in the ebony family. it is nice to turn, very hard, not oily, and would be 'different' than any other. I can get you some from a botanist friend if you need a piece - can't recall if I have ever seen it for sale commercially.

eyekode

New User
Salem
you could try persimmon. it is the only north american tree in the ebony family. it is nice to turn, very hard, not oily, and would be 'different' than any other. I can get you some from a botanist friend if you need a piece - can't recall if I have ever seen it for sale commercially.

I know Jack in Rolesville used to sell persimmon. If I ever get back up there I will buy some for turning too.

dwminnich

New User
Dave

Stuart, I'd welcome a chance to try some, even if I use something else for this project. If you think your friend has some, please PM me details, thanks.

--dave

dwminnich

New User
Dave
Thanks for all the input, folks. In the end, the recipient decided on Mopani as having the look they wanted while being sufficiently dense and non-allergenic. I'd never worked with it before, but it machined quite nicely. Here's a shot of the finished pestle.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415046303.741779.jpg

Sanded to 320 then finished with mineral oil to condition it a bit but be food safe.

--dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS