best way to oil figured maple ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike W.

New User
Mike Weinberger
Hello All, I just snagged a nice 12 " plank of tiger maple from Cap City Lumber and will be useing some of it for a small table top. I would like to keep it pretty light and really show it off with a wipe on oil. Any suggestions about useing dye then oil ? Thanks in advance, you guys have been helpfull in the past....Mike W

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Personally, I like a oil/varnish blend like Watco Danish Oil or Waterlox Original S/F which will add a little ambering to the Maple and the oil will help to pop the curl. Then if you want to keep the color light top coat with lacquer, or water-born Poly. If you can handle a little more ambering go with a regular oil Poly for the top coat for added protection.
I have inquired about this subject in the past. I'll see if I can find some of the old threads.

Here's one that I found http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1305&highlight=Curly+Maple+finish HTH
Dave:)

Last edited:

woodguy1975

New User
John
Seal-A-Cell is a much lighter oil that BLO, Waterlox, or Danish Oil if you want to keep it light. Another way to pop th grain is to use super blond shellac. It pops the grain as well as oil and you'd still have a very light peice.

Good Luck,

John

J

jeff...

I thought the best way to oil up a nice figure was with olive oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS