Best Vise or ? For Irregular Shaped Items?

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Sometimes I need to hold an irregular shaped item so I can do something to it… Let’s just use the yarn bowls I am making as an example. I need to cut the slot or groove in them that yarn would go through. It would be easier if it was held real stable. If there is something simpleI can make that would be great… I don’t really want or have time right now for an extensive project other than the ones on my list already plus it is getting that hot time of yr. now also! Thanks in advance for your ideas/input and suggestions!

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I use one of these.
If there's an unseen flat spot on your item you can screw it directly to the vise or you can plan ahead and either make the hole first or leave a flat spot in the item that can be removed later or you can hot glue a mounting block to the item or . . . . . .

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I have a 24” Moxon vise that can angle the chop quite a bit. I’ll post a picture and how far it an open later. I’d be willing to sell it.

mikeh74

New User
Mike
I have a 24” Moxon vise that can angle the chop quite a bit. I’ll post a picture and how far it an open later. I’d be willing to sell it.

I'm interested in the Moxon vise if Flute Maker isn't. I was actually just looking at your plans to make one.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I remembered wrong. The vise opening is 18” by 5”. The Acme screws are 12” and longer ones could be substituted to increase the 5” opening.
IMG_2664.jpeg

Wood is soft maple.
IMG_2665.jpeg

The chop can be angled about 5 degrees.
IMG_2663.jpeg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS