Best Tool to Cut Groove or J slot in Yarn Bowl

Flute Maker

Mike
User
What is the best tool to safely cut the groove or j slot on a yarn bowl? I tried a jigsaw with a fine tooth blade a while back. I ended up breaking a piece of the thinner part nearer the rim of the bowl. I’ll leave the next one thicker…This one was not very thin though.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've never tried to make one, but my first thought was to use a coping, or fret, saw.

iclark

Ivan
User
Plus one on the recommendation of the coping/fret saw. When you use it, treat like you would the process to cut a thin-wall bowl: balance the cuts with the saw as you work your way away from the rim.
If you are going to leave a thin finger at the rim of the bowl, use several layers of tape to reinforce the wood across the cut through the rim while you are doing the under-cut.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
when I made my last yarn bowl, I used my Foredom flex shaft rotary carving tool and started with a 1/8" drill bit. I drilled holes all along the perimeter of thee slot. Then I switched over to a carving burr and just slowly opened up the slot to the desired size. Be aware that if you get too aggressive with the drill bit or the carving burr that you can break the bowl. I don't have that experience but I know someone that did this very thing. They were able to glue the broken piece back in place with little to know sign of any damage. BTW, a Dremel tool works just as well.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Plus one on the recommendation of the coping/fret saw. When you use it, treat like you would the process to cut a thin-wall bowl: balance the cuts with the saw as you work your way away from the rim.
If you are going to leave a thin finger at the rim of the bowl, use several layers of tape to reinforce the wood across the cut through the rim while you are doing the under-cut.
Tape sounds like great idea. Plus I am going to leave this one a little thicker!

Flute Maker

Mike
User
when I made my last yarn bowl, I used my Foredom flex shaft rotary carving tool and started with a 1/8" drill bit. I drilled holes all along the perimeter of thee slot. Then I switched over to a carving burr and just slowly opened up the slot to the desired size. Be aware that if you get too aggressive with the drill bit or the carving burr that you can break the bowl. I don't have that experience but I know someone that did this very thing. They were able to glue the broken piece back in place with little to know sign of any damage. BTW, a Dremel tool works just as well.
I will try with holes and just gradually open up the slot!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS