Best Router Again Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

smessick

New User
Stan Messick
I too have been looking for the best router and, in fact, have succeeded in finding maybe a dozen. I'm trying to narrow that a bit and would like opinions and downsides of the Makita RD1101. I have never owned a Makita tool but have heard others say that they are well made and reliable.

Shoot me down, guys.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
not looking to shoot anyone down. someone just posted a great deal on a DW621 in the sale section. a great deal on a great router.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Stan, I have never owned a Makita router so I can't give an opinion on that. I do own a couple of their drills, both corded and cordless and have been very pleased with them. The cordless drill is a 9.6v that I have had for about 18 years now. Other than replacing the battery on it it has help up great.

D L

M

McRabbet

In an earlier thread http://ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?p=8393#poststop, I referenced a review of large routers from Wood Magazine which you may want to check out -- The Makita is a good router and is currently available on Amazon.com for under $200. If you need a hand-held router, this one is a good choice. However, if you need a router for raising panels or cutting mouldings, I'd recommend spending a little more for a 3+ HP model, like the Milwaukee 5625-20, which I got for Christmas from LOML. It is a great, powerful machine and is top rated.

Rob

Phil

New User
Phil Capper
pc 690 . Several in my shop. some over 15 years old. Absolutely no problems

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Phil said:
pc 690 . Several in my shop. some over 15 years old. Absolutely no problems

Yep........ditto Phil's comment. I have a couple of PC 690s myself and they have been very dependable. I primarily use them for handheld work and use a Hitachi M12V for my RT work.

D L

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
PC 690 and Milwaukee 5625 here....

Makits has typically gotten pretty good reviews too and Insomniac posted a great deal on the hitachi a couple of days ago.

BIRD

New User
Liz
Hey guys ... I'm also thinking about getting a new router. I have an OLD Craftsman (it belonged to my dad until it followed me home one day.) It works great but I find myself always needing a plunge router. I like the Porter Cable dual packages for the versatility and all the jigs that everyone seems to make specifically for them (can hardly find jigs for an OLD Craftsman). What do you think about multi-purpose routers versus stand alones?

M

McRabbet

I have the Porter-Cable 693 PK -- a plunge and fixed base kit with the reliable 690 router. I do not really like the plunge base for it because it is a PITA to attach/detach (uses a cap screw in an awkward position), and the bushings were never smooth (my dropping the plunge base configuration and bending the adjuster didn't help either!). The newer 890 series are improved designs and I really like the 690 in fixed base mode for hand routing. Check Amazon.com for good deals on any model you choose. Don't buy another Craftsman.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
BIRD, if you are looking at the PC combo kit, also look at the Dewalt 618 combo. IMO the DW has a much smoother plunge action and is an overall great router. I have one myself and a PC 690, and I grab the DW618 first everytime. Most good router brands (read... not Craftsman) will accept the PC style guide bushings in their sub-base, so they all should be equal in that respect. MY $.02579,

Dave:)

BIRD

New User
Liz
Great.. thank you. I wasn't sure about other routers on the market being able to use all the extra jigs for routers.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Liz, I some how ended up with 2 multi-base routers, the PC 890 kit and the Dewalt 618. AT first I thought I would sell one, But after using both in different configurations, I settled on this. PC890 in a fixed base config and the DeWalt in the plunge base.

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
If price is a concern, and you are using it mostly in a table, then my vote would be for the Hitachi M12V. I have been using one for quite a while now and it has never failed me. It's soft start feature is nice, which I'm sure us common amongst the PC's and Dewalt models. But amazon has them currently for $149, and somewhere on this site someone posted a promo code for another 20 bucks off. at $129 for a 3 1/4 hp router, you can't beat that. my $.02...

-Marco

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Liz, I have the Dewalt DW618 three base package and really like it for hand held use. It has a low center of gravity, so it doesn't seem top heavy to me. You can switch the motor from one base to the other in seconds. The height adjustment in the fixed base is done with a simple twist of a ring around the motor. I have just mounted the fixed base in a table to use for smaller table work and it is sweet in the table. I have a Freud FT2000 mounted in another table for handling big jobs like raised panel doors. It can really spin a 3"+ bit.

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
I have 2 PC, a Craftsman on my router table, and a softstart Makita. I like the PC's and the Makita, but the Craftsman will soon be replaced with a 3-1/4 or 3-1/2 fixed base router. The thing I like best about the Makita is the softstart and "D" handle grip. For a hand held router I think you would be happy with either the PC or Makita. I don't have any experience with other routers except the Craftsman:BangHead:

BIRD

New User
Liz
Well you guys gave me some good ideas of routers to look at and compare. I'm partial to the PC 890, mainly because PC seems to have a great deal of the market including accessories, but I like knowing that other routers (like the Dewalt DW618) would be a good choice also. Besides I do like that Yellow & Black look !! :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS