Best paint for new wood kids toy cabinets

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandfarm

Joe
User
New cabinets are made from plywood. Primer is Rustoleum Cover Stain, so far.
Paint stores all suggest water based Latex enamel with an oil based primer. Olympic One, Olympic Assure and Benjamin Moore Advance has been recommended.
A local professional painter has said not to use latex. Will have to get back to him as to what he would use.
I didn't realize that latex was an enamel paint. I always thought that enamel paints were oil based.
Is this latex enamel going to hold up against a 2 year old kid throwing his toys in these cabinets?
Other than the odors, why not an oil based paint?
What are your tried and true paints?

Thanks in advance.
Joe Isley

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
I have been using Lenmar Duralaq water based lacquer paint and their water based primer for a while now and really like it. FDA food safe for kitchen use, cures harder than latex, and goes on evenly. Also sprays well with inexpensive hardware like HF 'HVLP' guns.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
New cabinets are made from plywood. Primer is Rustoleum Cover Stain, so far.
Paint stores all suggest water based Latex enamel with an oil based primer. Olympic One, Olympic Assure and Benjamin Moore Advance has been recommended.
A local professional painter has said not to use latex. Will have to get back to him as to what he would use.
I didn't realize that latex was an enamel paint. I always thought that enamel paints were oil based.
Is this latex enamel going to hold up against a 2 year old kid throwing his toys in these cabinets?
Other than the odors, why not an oil based paint?
What are your tried and true paints?

Thanks in advance.
Joe Isley

The term "enamel" is frequently mis-used. It no longer seems to have any relevance to the chemistry of the coating, but only that it dries hard and has somewhat of a gloss (basically, the finished appearance). Now, about the only way to really determine what type of coating is in the container is to look at the ingredients, including the solvents.

Water-based coatings are almost always either latex or acrylic, regardless if they use the terms "lacquer", "enamel" or "polyurethane".

Go

Last edited:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I used milk paint on mine and one of the girls still has hers after 30 years. I figured, that with milk paint, they would look used and abused from day one!

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
+1 for milk paint. It gives that home-made look to whatever you apply it to!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS