Best new tool yet!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

toolferone

hvac%201.jpg
hvac%202.jpg

THE SHOP WILL HAVE A/C SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well I got lucky today and found a great deal on a 2.5 ton heat pump. It is 8 years old and was upgraded to a high efficiency system. The HVAC man who did the upgrade offered this unit up for sale on Craig's List.
The best part was it was only $100.00!!!!
I can't wait to get it going in the workshop.​

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Great timing Tom, with it already in the 80's in March. I have a feeling that this is gonna be a hot summer..but you'll be cool :cool: :cool:

Dave:)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If the stubs aren't capped, put some electricians tape over them. Looks like you are missing a line set, filter/ dryer, along with about four and half pounds of R-22. Start practicing your silver soidering skills now. Get good at it and you can replace your own carbide teeth on blades. Nice snag. Be preparded to spend almost as much on a line set as you paid for compressor and indoor coil set.

4yanks

New User
Willie
This is the first year I have had a heated and cooled shop. What a difference. Now the LOML even likes to hang out there.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
This is the first year I have had a heated and cooled shop. What a difference. Now the LOML even likes to hang out there.

WHOA !!! now i know i aint gittin AC in the shop!:rolf: . congrats and enjoy tom.

fred p

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Congrats! You will REALLY enjoy that! No more sweat dripping on your work or getting in your eyes.

Until last year, I had two window AC units that couldn't keep up. What a real joy to have a heat pump. I don't use the heat feature too often but it is nice to take the chill off in the winter, especially if I am going to finish something.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Bruce how do you know so much? :)

Doug
I installed both of my heat pumps in my house. Original one is a "hybrid system". That means in heating mode, if it is above 26 degrees F the heat pump runs, below 26 F degrees, gas furnace runs. Had to pay a deposit to Carrier to "borrow"a book of wiring diagrams to hook it up, as at that time no one locally had done such. Now it is touted as a "new idea." Of course, I did mine in 1980. Second one was bought second hand from a couple who enlarged their house. It was too small with new addition. A properly sized HP/ AC will run cont. on a 95 F degree day. If it cycles off, it is TOO BIG. It won't remove enough moisture from air when it cycles on/ off. Unfortunately HVAC guys didn't used to understand this. Bigger isn't better in this case. That is why it is important to do a heat load calulation, not just so much per 1000 sq ft.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Silver solder, I remember those days soldering 1 1/2 and larger copper pipe.

There is no doubt that I suck at it.

Along with the installation, get ready for the additional electric costs. Don't forget to turn it off when you are leaving for awhile, and most importantly, pick a good place for the thermostat. I have now moved mine 3 times.

Rick Orwig

New User
Rick
I should add to my previous post that my garage workshop has a combo heater/a/c but to save power and keep my equipment rust free I also have a dehumidifier that runs as the humidistat requires. When I work only then do I turn on the a/c or heater as needed and when I am finished I turn that unit off and the rest is up to the dehumidifier. As I am near the coast, humidity is a major problem that is until I installed the dehumidifier. I bought it at Sears as a return at less than half price and purchased a service contract with the savings in case I need it.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Tom, that is way too cool! :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

I have a window unit in my small shop and it does a decent job. Of course I have to pull it out and clean it good every year.

Man, you're gonna love working in a cool shop at the house (I know you're already spoiled at work). :)

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS