Best mobile base?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
All my tools are on cabinets that I made. Miter saw, belt sander, router table, drill press, and band saw. I put all the cabinets on a 2x4 skid with $5 HF 3" polyurethane swivel casters w/brakes. I roll my tools around my small shop and on nice days I go outside on my deck. To go outside I have to crossover two carpet strips, a carpeted hallway, and a patio door threshold. Have been doing this for some 3 years now with no problems with these wheels either rolling or locking. I think they also make a 4"size.

Thats fine for hobbyist equipment, not gonna happen with a 900# planer though!

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Wood Magazine has plans for a good mobile base. I built one years ago for a Delta contractor saw. I built another that is currently under my drill press.
The plans call for 2" casters, but I you could adjust for larger casters pretty easily.

Wood Magazine issue 100, Nov. 1997

gritz

New User
Robert
This is my own design using Woodcraft on-sale castors and some unistrut I had on hand. Very easy to move in any direction. Outrigger design provides nearly twice footprint with low center of gravity. I kick the wheels out when locking and find it very stable.
IMG_3305.jpg

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
What kind of tools? How often do you move them?

I have used the bases from Grizzly. The tires came apart on the jointer base after a couple years.
I also have a couple HTC bases. I'm satisfied with them.

One is under a 20" 800# planer and the other a cabinet saw.

If you can weld, I would build custom bases with 3" wheels rated to 1000#.

mark2

Mark
Corporate Member
Consider a small Pallet Jack if you have 3" clearance under equipment - tough over threshold though unless you can fashion some sort of ramp.

Cato

New User
Bob
I like the ease of use and strength of my Jet mobile base. I have a Portamate under my jointer, but not happy with it. My DW735 planer is mounted on the Dewalt mobile base and been very happy with it.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Mike iused one from Woodcraft. I believe it was an HTC base. 2 sides are metal and you cut the other 2 out of hardwood to the correct lenth. It locks well and rolls well. I have my bandsaw on it

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I found a couple of furniture moving dollys on craigslist for $10 each similar to the below. Strong enough to move my Jet Jointer [heavy as heck!] around in my barn over the rubber mats with dips and gaps. I don't have any actual photos, just pulled the below from the web.

They are made to move some heavy furniture, so the wheels are big and sturdy.

Down side is the wheels are not lockable.

dolly.jpg

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
That is what I have done for my "movable" machines. Plywood with 2x framing underneath and castors to suit the machine. Works for me.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS