Best method for transporting bandsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

hholgate

New User
Howard
Any suggestions for moving a large bandsaw (Rikon 18 inch 10-345)? It is 76 inches long and weighs about 400 pounds. I was thinking of removing the table then tilting and sliding it on to a flatbed truck. Is there a better way to load and transport this?

eyekode

New User
Salem
Transport it on laying on it's spine. And removing the table is a good idea too. You don't want to torque it and damage the trunions. So pretty much just as you were thinking :).
And congrats!!!
Salem

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
There are really only 2 ways to transport a bandsaw safely, either upright and well bolted and strapped down, or, more simply, on its back (spine) with some home-made chocks or framing to secure it so that it can not twist or fall over on its side. Regardless, remove the cast-iron table for safety (and to lighten your load).

If you should need to lighten your load further, you can also remove both the upper and lower cast-iron wheels which will knock even more weight off of the bandsaw, just be sure to label which wheel is upper and lower and which side of each faces outward/forward so that you can reinstall them just the same later. Whether you do this really depends on how much help you will have versus how much you need to trim down the weight ... you can even go a step further and pull the motor if you really need too, but if you have 2 strong workers or several helpers, then you should not need to remove anything more than the table as the entire unit weighs in at around 400lbs.

During transport, tape the upper and lower doors close to ensure they can't possibly come open during the move.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Transport it on laying on it's spine. And removing the table is a good idea too. You don't want to torque it and damage the trunions. So pretty much just as you were thinking :).
And congrats!!!
Salem
+1 and that is how I did it for my 19" grizzly bandsaw, took 2-min to remove the top, 2-dudes to load the saw in the truck and 2-straps to secure it. I could have driven to Alaska with it secured that way.

hholgate

New User
Howard
BandSaw.jpg

Thanks for the transport suggestions. Just slid the saw on its spine onto the truck and strapped it down. Didn't remove table since it only had to travel a few miles. Arrived at its new home without any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS