Best glue for cork on vise?

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Just stick with the glue you can reverse and clean up. It works well and lasts just fine. I tried contact adhesive and it was to soft after setting. The hide glue was just right. The crubber is a consumable and you’ll want to be able to change it easily.

Does using liquid hide glue in a bottle or heated hide glue from flakes matter? We can glue the crubber your way in the vise workshop.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Does using liquid hide glue in a bottle or heated hide glue from flakes matter? We can glue the crubber your way in the vise workshop.
I have used both, heated a little either way works great.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
From the Benchcrafted website:

Attaching Crubber
You can use any glue you'd like to attach Crubber to your vise. We've used liquid hide glue, yellow carpenter's glue and contact cement. Contact cement is nice in that it likes to peel or rub off cleanly when it's time to replace the Crubber. The other glues will have to be scraped or planed off, or removed with hot water, although they do provide a little more holding power than the cement. Bottom line, they all work fine. Make sure you use plenty of glue, especially at the edges

That being said i attached mine with yellow glue and have had no issues with it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I tried a test strip with Titebond 3 Saturday. It held great and stripped off with a sharp scraper.
I think that's what i will use.

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I tried a test strip with Titebond 3 Saturday. It held great and stripped off with a sharp scraper.
I think that's what i will use.
Are you prepping the vice surface that you are gluing to in anyway? (shellac or ???) (I was thinking over time, the bond may be too great?)

mpeele

michael
User
I would use either hide glue or 3M Supper 77 spray contact cement. Both are reversible. You can slip a knife under the Supper 77 and peel rubberized cork off and clean residue with mineral spirits. I have used Supper 77 for felting many pool tables. I think it a better choice that generic contact cement because it does not harden and will not creep.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS