Bessey pipe clamps

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
The answer is as simple as a piece of dowel placed between clamp pad and object to be clamped. Dowel needs to be same size as thickness of panel clamped. Dowel places pressure directly in center of panel. Plus you still should alternate them. I ain't that smart, I read about this in one of the woodworking magazines (remember them?) years ago.
That solution has worked for me. I'm not sure where I saw it but I created an L shaped jig that can sit on top of my pipe clamps (rare earth magnet in the back of the wood). That allows for the even pressure and stops the wood from immediately raising up. The magnet on the back is 1 1/4" (for perspective).

clamp_jig.jpg.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
That solution has worked for me. I'm not sure where I saw it but I created an L shaped jig that can sit on top of my pipe clamps (rare earth magnet in the back of the wood). That allows for the even pressure and stops the wood from immediately raising up. The magnet on the back is 1 1/4" (for perspective).

View attachment 200294.
That is GOLD-PLATED advice right there!
One question, is that limited to 3/4"stock?
If I am gluing 1-1/2" (2") stock, do I need to move the dowel (bead) (make different jigs) or will it still work?

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
Thanks Hank! I'd use a different dowel size with the different stock. I have my dowels glued to the face. It would have been smarter to just have different size dowels handy for the different glue ups...

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Hank! I'd use a different dowel size with the different stock. I have my dowels glued to the face. It would have been smarter to just have different size dowels handy for the different glue ups...
nah, I am thinking your version is right - the number of times you are gluing 3/4"-1" stock probably FAR outweighs the number of times you are gluing ~2"

But, it is easy enough to make some for each thickness!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors