Bessey Clamps Cleanup

schmidtsp3

New User
Steve
I have several bessey (and stabil) clamps that I use for bandsaw box glue-ups and I invariably get glue drippings on the bars. I'm in need of cleanup suggestions and suggestions about avoiding the mess on the bars altogether. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks Steve

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use painter's tape. Once I have the clamp set I put a strip down the bar wherever glue might drip. Just pull it off and throw it away when I'm done.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Get a piece of 4", schedule 20 sewer pipe and a cap to fit it, that is long enough to hold the bars of clamps. Glue cap on one end. Support sewer pipe vertical, and fill with white vinegar. Slide heads of clamps all the way closed, then let bars hang down into vinegar, and soak for 30 minutes. Remove, scrub off glue, rinse with water to remove any remaining vinegar, or glue. After soaking, you could use power washer to make job easier. Dry bars very well, using either heat gun or blow dryer. Vinegar can be saved and reused next time.

spartyon8

Peter
User
Get a piece of 4", schedule 20 sewer pipe and a cap to fit it, that is long enough to hold the bars of clamps. Glue cap on one end. Support sewer pipe vertical, and fill with white vinegar. Slide heads of clamps all the way closed, then let bars hang down into vinegar, and soak for 30 minutes. Remove, scrub off glue, rinse with water to remove any remaining vinegar, or glue. After soaking, you could use power washer to make job easier. Dry bars very well, using either heat gun or blow dryer. Vinegar can be saved and reused next time.

THIS!!! It works great. I made a rack of 6 2.5” pvc tubes. Two hole my long besseys and 4 hold my 24” clamps.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Steve, for me the best method of cleaning these types of clamps is to use a wire brush attached to a drill...just remember to wear appropriate eye protection.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS