Berry Box

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A berry box for my granddaughters in Virginia Beach for their blueberries and strawberries. It's 7.5" x 7.5" x 4" red oak. I gave up on the steam bent wood handle and switched to a leather strap.

Glued with hide glue and held with cam clamps. Finished with Zinnser rattle can shellac spray.

P1010017.png
P1010019.png
P1010019.png

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good job - Thanks for sharing. I also like that style of clamps

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Is it in the contract that they have to share the berries with you? I think that is a very fine box Jeff, the box joints look perfect!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Good job - Thanks for sharing. I also like that style of clamps

My first try with cam clamps and they're deceptively strong. They were pretty handy for delicate work like this box.

I got the clamps from Lee Valley but they're made in Germany.

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That looks nice, how did you make the handle? That’s the one you talked about earlier?

I was trying to make a steam bent wood handle out of rived green white oak but gave up after about 5- 6 tries. It could have been my technique and it could have been the white oak logs even though it was rived. Maybe the radius across 7.5" is inherently too tight?

It was easier to just switch to a leather strap and copper rivets.

Last edited:

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Very nice box. I suggest that you grind down the rivets so they don't scrape the grandkids as they swing them while skipping in the sunshine

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Very nice box. I suggest that you grind down the rivets so they don't scrape the grandkids as they swing them while skipping in the sunshine

That's planned. I'll hacksaw them off to shorten them. The copper rivet setting tool (from Osborne) won't peen over that much, but the rivet can't slide off either.

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 4.03.41 PM.png

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
My first try with cam clamps and they're deceptively strong. They were pretty handy for delicate work like this box.

I got the clamps from Lee Valley but they're made in Germany.

Here's a video of making his own, modeled after the Klemmsia brand.The Art of Boat Building-Making Cam Clamps. He does some great videos in making several of his own tools.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS