Bent the shaft on my sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

lottathought

New User
Michael
I need a little advice from one of the tool experts on here.
I have the Ridgid oscillating spindle and belt sander.
This summer, a weed eater jumped off the wall in the garage and landed on the sander.
I thought everything was ok at the time..but I was too busy to do any woodwork this summer.
I recently found out that the shaft is bent and it is causing the entire sander to jump around.
To make matters worse, the shaft appears to be part of the motor and the cost of a replacement motor is just a little less than a new sander.
The bend is slight and I think that it might be tough to get it perfectly straight.
And as fast as it spins, I doubt it would ever run smooth unless it was perfectly straight.

So does anybody have any ideas?
I would hate to think that it is worthless.

J

jeff...

WE vers OSS - WE wins - must be one tough WE to bend a motor shaft like that.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Doesn't Ridgid have a life-time warranty on their tools. That might be worth looking into...leaving out the part about the weedeater attack :dontknow:

Dave:)

lottathought

New User
Michael
Well Dave...as luck would have it, this sander was a Craigslist special.
I got a great deal but the consequence is no lifetime warranty.
Now that you mention it though, perhaps the 3 year warranty is still good.
(How long ago did Ridgid start to carry the Orange spindle sanders?)

Travis...I am going to google what an armature is in just a moment. :gar-Bi

And yes, It is a very tough Ryobi WE.....4 years old...it has taken out grass, weeds and one sander...now THAT is a tough WE.
Actually, it was a total fluke.
I had the WE hanging in the same place for 4 years, next to the garage door..no trouble.
This summer, the WE somehow swings too close to the garage door as it is opening. The door lifts the WE off the hook and drops it on the sander.
I saw the whole thing.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The armature is the shaft and the copper wiring that goes around the shaft. If you can check the motor out you might be able to order an armature from Rigid/home depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS