bending 2 1/2"cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

poppop

New User
Don
I'm going to make a copy of the edo rocker by mosler. It seems to call for the bending of 2 1/2" cherry . I plan to try a steam box - steaming 1" per hr and then see if i can bend it to a mold. The radius is kinda smallwith an angle of bend approximately 135*. Is this doable and will there be any spring back?
poppop

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
Are you talking about the top rail? I've never seen the chair in person, but I'd suspect the rail is either laminated or cut on a bandsaw, not bent.

Umich684

New User
Jake
PopPop, do you mean Thos. Moser? He has great collections, and in general is a great company for any of us to follow.

I think you mean http://www.thosmoser.com/collection/edo/product/1380/edo_rocker/ this EDO rocker, and it is way cool. I pulled out his catalogue from this year and could see from the grain on the display piece the head rail is cut on the band saw.

In my limited experience in steam bending a 2.5" cherry blank would be a real beast in cherry! From the design & smart cutting I bet the cutoffs could be used to size up both arms with pretty limited waste on a 8"x 3" x 48" piece?

Cheers! that is an awesome project, though they always look better in pairs:widea:

poppop

New User
Don
I guess thatbyou are advocating cutting the sides from one piece of cherry. Goode thought tho I'm leaning to a bent lamination if the bending wont work. I'll think on it a bit more but my wife is getting pretty antsy for something to appear in the living room.
Thanks for the help
poppop

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have done a little bending and I think what you want to do is possible.
Since cherry fibers are easier to compress than expand, you will need to have a strong metal band with very secure stops on the outside of the bend. Next you will need a strong form - two pieces - both inside and out that you can clamp the cherry and the metal band into.
Cook the cherry for about 3 hours and work fast when you pull it out - get it into the form and clamp it in with about 30 seconds. A helper and strong clamps are required
Leave the cherry in the clamps for at least 48 hours. You can expect some spring back but probably not more than 5% - you can adjust your form radius to compensate

Good Luck

stave

New User
stave
The thickness is the main concern, the thicker it is of course the harder the process. I built a steamer from pvc pipe with caps and a T connection for the steamer to fit. I used 4" pipe and a humidifier from a box store. It will take several hours as stated to get the heat and moisture needed. Pre-soaking the piece in water for 20 or 30 minutes will help the process. Just remember that the wetter the wood the weaker the fibers will be. Make sure the grain is straight without any knots or irregularities. Also as stated the forms will have to be strong and you will have to move FAST! Help is also a must.

Everything you need should be right where it needs to be and the choreography of what do to should be clear. All clamps should be close and close to the right clamp opening. One last point...keep all metal out of contact with the wood as this could cause staining which really soaks in because of the moisture in the wood. I have used wax paper between the forms during bending and during glued lamination and have glued wood spacers on the end of my clamps with silicone so I can pop them off later.

Good luck
Stave

JWBWW

New User
John
My experience in bending cherry was far from satisfactory. I was told later that KD cherry was nowhere near as forgiving as air dried. But I was also told that cherry wasn't a great bending wood. After ruining four rather nice 5/4 blanks I decided to change my direction and used bent lamination to solve the problem.With material that is twice the thickness I would be pretty skeptical and would want an hydraulic system or at the very least a come-along to do the bending. A simple 3/4" by 4" half-round table apron takes a good bit of clamping force to get into a form. I can't imagine something over three times that thickness.

I'll be watching this thread to see where you come out bending. When it works it's as satisfying and rewarding as anything. When it doesn't... well it's most disappointing because I never seem to learn what went wrong. As a consequence my own knowledge base is not enriched.

Good luck,

John

FlyingRon

Ron
I'm pretty sure the top rail is NOT bent. If you dig through the Moser site the same series non-rocker chair is described as having the top rail CARVED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS