Benchtop Router table with Triton router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Many of you offered great advice on router tables, router models, inserts and fences. Thank-you for all of that wonderful advice. I found your advice very helpful and current. Much of the advice available online in articles and forums was dated.

So, here is what I built. 18" deep and 26" wide, with a Triton 2.25HP installed in a Woodpecker's aluminum insert and Peachtree deluxe fence. The size fits well on my little benches and stores underneath when not in use. The template to cut the recess for the Woodpecker insert made that job easy. The insert comes with the three plastic disks to go around the bits, changing tool, and screws needs for any type router. The Triton router mounted right into the insert and is steady as a rock. The Triton is superb, what a machine. The router comes with 1/4" and 1/2" collets, nice height adjuster tool, dust attachment, and edge guide. Taking the springs out of the plunge mechanism to mount into the table was simple. So far, I can't say enough good about this router. The adjustment mechanism work smooth and is effortless, making me wonder why I would ever buy another router that didn't have this feature. The plastic door guard on the on/off switch takes a little getting used to, but is a nice feature as well. I also built a fence, but I would have to mail order almost all of the parts and after adding up the cost of the pieces, it became better to just order a fence. It was difficult finding a 24-26" fence, as most are 32-36" long, but the Peachtree fence is nice and including the 2 1/2" dust fitting was perfect for my ShopVac, and works great. All in all, I am pleased with the new tool.

I was surprised by one thing though. I have had a butcher block table around for 8 years that I got on sale, still in its protective wrapper and box. Being 1.25" thick, I thought it would be perfect, so, I cut a piece and used it for the top. After cutting out the space for the insert, I was surprised when a week later the aluminum insert wouldn't fit, so I recut the inset. When putting in the the track, I cut it exactly the length of the table and put it in. Now, the track extends out .124" on the left side and .108" on the right. So, the top has shrank .228", or almost a quarter of an inch. This surprised me a lot. May have to cut the aluminum track again, but maybe not.

Thank-you all again for the wonderful advice.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
A very nice writeup on your new router table, thanks for sharing with us. :icon_thum

As you have discovered, anything made of solid wood is essentially a living, breathing, creation and will continue to expand and contract over time unless your shop is temperature and humidity (especially humidity) regulated. This is why many router table tops are manufactured from composite materials (such as MDF, HDF, etc.) which are far more stable with regard to humidity changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS