Bench Top Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Here's my version . . .
Made from Walnut, Cherry, Spalted Maple, SYP and oak cutoff's.
The screws and handles for the face vice came from an old HF "Workmate" that fell apart.

BTB_2.jpg

BTB_1.jpg

Works great for getting the work up to a more comfortable level for things like cutting DT's, etc.

pete

Sully

New User
jay
Now that is cool! I like the look of the different woods. How's it secured to the bench below?

manfre

New User
Manfre
That looks like a good sized bench for a kid. Any thoughts of building a Bench Top Bench for your Bench Top Bench?

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
How's it secured to the bench below?

Just clamps. It can be made with pegs to sit in the dog holes but I like to move it around depending on what I'm working on. You want to set it so the back of the face vice is even with the front of the main bench so when you clam a long board vertically it has two points of support.

p

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I like the way you reused the old parts and the good wood makes it look really nice.

I'd like to make one of those but I need a few things first.

1) an old work mate

2) a bench to set it on

3) time to do it

ChrisB

New User
Chris
I really like this idea, Pete, and your execution makes it nice to look at while you work. :widea: I need to make myself one of these, or something similar. The older I get the harder it is to lean over to cut dovetails, which is one of my favorite operations.

Chris

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I forgot to mention:
Jeff Millers article/plan is in FWW March/April 2005.

p

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I understand there are a couple different versions of Workmate? Which one works best for this?

Shouldn't be too hard to find a well worn example... :dontknow:

BSHuff

New User
Brian
could we possibly get a 'bottom view' of this? Trying to visualize the setup of the workmate hardware. Has been a long time since I had one.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Nicely done, Pete.

Mike, I have various parts from my old Workmate, yours for the asking.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
could we possibly get a 'bottom view' of this? Trying to visualize the setup of the workmate hardware. Has been a long time since I had one.

Here it is. It's just a face vice so there are many ways to do it. I just did it this way because I had the parts. All you need is a threaded rod with a handle and a captive nut. The nut can also be inset into the stationary back of the vice (as in the FWW article). It just depend on what hardware you have available.

BTB_Bottom.jpg

p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS