Bench Top Bandsaw

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I was recently gifted a used (very used) 9” Skil Bandsaw. I got used to having a thin blade and used it for cutting out small templates. Well long story short, it died (motor seized). Talked with folks at Skil and was advised this saw is discontinued and very limited parts available ( both from Skil & e-replacements).

I’d like to get another bench top 9” and would appreciate any input ( both good & negative) as to brands. Of course cost is a major consideration.

Thanks for any help.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
It looks like all the "square" ones are basically the same. Just like the big boys, look at the guides. For cheap tools, I look WEN first. The class seems to go from $150 to almost $300 for the same saw, so look at the details. For instance, the WEN has block guides, the Grizzly roller. Rikon is a 10 inch and half HP but more money. In other words, you really need to look at each brand details.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the small 10" Rikon with a 1/8 blade and a Carter guide. Works great

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Just saw this on CL - in WS area, so not real close for you

Not mine, not endorsing, ....

DELTA POWERED TOOLS - tools - by owner - sale

DELTA POWERED TOOLS (CLEMMONS)

image 1 of 3

00909_5YVDnooQfX7z_0kM0fA_600x450.jpg

01212_fgqzrC66GAIz_0kM0fA_600x450.jpg

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
DELTA BAND SAW 7 INCH THROAT $100.00

DELTA 1 INCH BELT SANDER $50.00

DELTA 6 INCH BENCH GRINDER W/EXTRA STONE AND WIRE BRUSH $40.00

CALL ONLY...NO TEXTS WILL BE ANSWERED 336-766-ZERO SIX SEVEN TWO

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I had the Delta's bigger 10" sibling and it worked well for me when I had it. The 9" is probably similar quality, and like Bob said, issues can be addressed to make it run better.

That said, Rikon's build quality is noticeably better. I have the larger 14", and have been very happy with it, and I also have a Rikon midi-lathe that served me very well when I started turning (now have a Nova Galaxi, but I kept the Rikon around). I would feel comfortable recommending the Rikon, even if it is a bit more expensive. Looking on Woodcraft's site, the 1/3HP 10" Rikon doesn't ship until September, but the 1/2HP Deluxe is in stock. $130 difference between the two. You could wait for a 10% off sale that Woodcraft/Klingspor has a few times a year to knock that down a bit.

I have also heard good things about the WEN machine. But outside of a disc/belt sander i used to have, I don't have much experience with WEN. The sander did work well until I upgraded.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Henry, Clemmons is a little out of the way for me. I just turned down a great deal from Raymond for the same reason. Thanks for thinking of my needs. I've been doing some research on the WEN and a few others. The reviews on the WEN seem to be all over the map...it's either; love it or hate it. I'm just going to keep looking.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Henry, Clemmons is a little out of the way for me. I just turned down a great deal from Raymond for the same reason. Thanks for thinking of my needs. I've been doing some research on the WEN and a few others. The reviews on the WEN seem to be all over the map...it's either; love it or hate it. I'm just going to keep looking.
Agreed - I wasn't expecting you to jump at this - I know I wouldn't, but I am even a little farther away than you are. Just a FYI really.

PS - I have a WEN track saw that has been pretty good (not perfect) - and GREAT for the value it represents (performance/price).

I read reviews with a grain of salt - Some reviewers or users have completely unrealistic expectations (or no experience), or have in fact bought the wrong type of tool. Sometimes I think users buy a $100 tool and then compare it to a tool that costs 4x and say 'this is crappy'. It certainly might be crappy, if it does not do what the tool should, or it might be a lot of little things that add up to a less nice tool - BUT if it works (performs the necessary task) and costs 4x less, quit complaining.

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the Grizzly G0803. It works pretty good for small jobs - easier than setting up the bigger saws. I also keep a very fine blade in it so don't have to change blades on the big guys. The only problem I've had is I stressed the blade somewhat one day and the drive belt came off. The instructions in the manual for replacing the drive belt are very good at least.

I got a tiny shopvac (2.5Gal/2.5HP - think it was less than $30) and hooked it up with an auto switch to handle the dust. I 3D printed an adapter to fit the hose to the unit. If you get both I can print you one.

Not the exact model I have (mine's green and doesn't have the laser).
Looks like the price went up on the shop vac to $39

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Hey Ken, thanks for the input. Coincidently, I had just decided to pull the trigger on the 9" Griz. It's currently not in stock...but expected soon. I may take you up on the 3D hose adapter. I have an old Lowes vac that I think would work out.

Cheers

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Larry, Thanks for the heads up. I already ordered the Griz; besides, it's a 4-hour drive one way.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS