Bench Progress - Vise Installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluthart

New User
Brian
Here is the Rockler 9" quick release vise I installed Monday. I set up a jig so I could router the recess easily.
22345_1366222159849_1360523614_1036500_132101_n.jpg

I then attached the vise, and cut and installed the jaws...

22345_1366255040671_1360523614_1036643_2192994_n.jpg

With the jaws... just need to add tung oil.

22345_1366255160674_1360523614_1036645_8371497_n.jpg

Glennbear

Glenn
Your installation looks very clean. I have yet to reach the point in the building of my bench for vise installation so I have a question. Is there an advantage to recessing the inner jaw into the bench top ? Thanks. :wsmile:

bluthart

New User
Brian
Your installation looks very clean. I have yet to reach the point in the building of my bench for vise installation so I have a question. Is there an advantage to recessing the inner jaw into the bench top ? Thanks. :wsmile:

My thinking was that hiding the front jaws would prevent any chance of the metal jaw marring a workpiece. I saw some articles that PeteM sent me, and it showed an actual front bench face and frame around the bench. Sice I hadn't done this, I thought this way would be feasible. It seems to have worked wonderfully.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Looks like a good install.
Sure you have enough dog holes ???? :wink_smil

pete

sapwood

New User
Roger
The photos make it look easy :icon_thum
However I'm sure it's not. Beautiful setup and I'm jealous :jealous:

Roger

timf67

New User
Tim

I know this isn't my thread, but to answer your question... Yes, there is an advantage to setting the vise jaws flush to the bench front. If you are hand planing - particularly edge jointing a board, you can hold the board in the vise and the face of the board will be flush with the bench making the board easier to work by keeping it more stable.

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
great progress! I am getting ready to start my own bench and vise project soon. Been interesting following your posts

good craftsmanship!
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors