Bench Dog 40-001 Router Table - reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
I'm looking for a router table and saw very good reviews of the Bench Dog 40-001 Router Table ($199) on Amazon. Does anyone here use this table and have you been satified with it? Would you recommend it for a beginning woodworker or is there something else that you think is better or worth a larger investment?

Looking for advice . . . . . .:eusa_thin

DaveO

New User
DaveO
If you are looking for or need a benchtop RT, it is a very good one. Bench Dog makes fine products. But if you have the space you can make one that is larger, has storage for bits, wrenches and the several other routers that seem to accumulate in any shop. Making your own RT is very easy and can be accomplished for much less than you could by that BD one for. Plus making your own tools is a great feeling, because they can be exactly how you want them. Check out the NYW router table
0301s.gif

The New Yankee Workshop Tools

It's simple to make and will be the best RT you could get for the money.
Dave:)

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Thanks Dave - that looks like a great table. What do you think the materials would cost? And when you say simple - do mean simple for a new hobbiest, or simple for a cabinet shop? I was thinking about signing up for a class at NC State later this year and wonder if I couldn't build the table in their shop with some coaching . . . . . .

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The base can be as simple as 4 legs, or as elaborate as is shown in the picture. A router table is nothing but a flat surface that a router hangs underneath. A fence can be a straight piece of wood clamped down. Making a cabinet like that is pretty simple for a hobbiest. It's a box, and the drawers are smaller boxes in the big box. I made something similar without plans and I am very happy with the way it turned out. There are a few construction pictures in my album under "Shop Pics".
Dave:)

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Rick I too am in the process of finishing the NYW table. There's some pics in my album also. It's very straightforward and construction is basic. A great "hobbyist" level project. Like Dave says, as you build it, you can make adjustments or add features to suit yourself. You can get plans for the NYW one, but you really don't need them. I used them, but then I like to study things before diving into a project. Part of "my" learning process."

Tom

Ralrick

New User
Rick
thanks Tom. Did you buy just the plans or the video as well? Seems like having a measured drawing would be worth the 10+ dollars. Where did you buy the hardware for the table (channels, switch, router plate, etc.)? Just from a cost comparison vs. the bench dog, what did you spend in supplies for the NYW table?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
most of what you need, perhaps even all of it, is available from either Woodcraft, or The Woodworking Shop (alternately referred to as Klingspor's)

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Just from a cost comparison vs. the bench dog, what did you spend in supplies for the NYW table?

Comparing the cost of the two is kinda an apples to oranges comparison.
The Bench Dog doesn't have a switch, drawers or all the associated drawer hardware. The BD also has a plastic router insert plate-some people like them, other have problems with un-flatness.
You could make a bare bones version of the NYW table with a basic fence (no drawers, no switch) out of a sheet of plywood (~$30) and a sheet of MDF (~$23). Start adding accessories from there.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I've got the Bench Dog and am pleased with it. I could never get around to building the Norm table. The Bench Dog can be stored out of the way under a table and set up quickly when you need it but the NYWS sure does look good.

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
I've got a sheet of "birch" ply from the Borg, a 4x4 piece of melamine from the Borg, a Rockler T-track kit that was on sale for $9 and the Rousseau insert plate I got on the net on sale for $29 and no shipping charge. So far maybe $80. I don't have a switch yet, but I'm thinking about making my own. I don't have the fence built yet either, but I have scrap MDF for that. Oh, and casters from Grizzly. I don't think I'm at $100 yet.

I bought the plans but not the video. I had heard the video wasn't really much additional help. In all honesty, you'll get much more help right here on the forum than in any number of videos. I'll help with any questions you've got.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS