Bench design from drab to fab

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
A few months ago while at Habitat, I found an old drafting table that looked interesting as a pattern. We purchased the table and the markings indicated it was worth $1600-$2000. (Not bad for $75). My wife wanted to use it for a kitchen table. The lowest height is about 31” so a standard bench height is too low so I started a build. First design, square and bulky
1637882371771.jpeg

due to the heifgt my wife wanted a foot rest. So this was added to the front. The legs were then turned off center so they taper in both directions.
1637882433463.jpeg
i like curves therefore the front apron was arched
1637882556143.jpeg

Ivdecided not to attach the seat directly but used the elevated approach. The edges are roundover on top and a 45 degree bevel on the bottom to add to the illusion of a floating seat
1637882688626.jpeg
The next design was to add a backrest. 17 spindles and a thin crest rail to hit in the spine curvature. Here is the final design and ready before Christmas
1637882746098.jpeg

1637882771701.jpeg

The finish is 4 coats sprayed waterbased lacquer. I picked up the Walnut at a yard sale total project cost table$75, lumber $50, finish $30 top fasteners $15. Total table and two bench's $170 plus 50-60 hours of time

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Excellent craftsmanship along with a very imaginative designs...the result is a beautiful table and benches.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great work! The beginning of this adventure I find interesting as well.

MTod

Michael
Corporate Member
Clever and elegant design. I like the proportions created by the foot rest, the floating seat and the low backrest.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Love it The plan in mind ends up new way, but better. Very Michelangelo of you.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
This was my original inspiration. It was a bench at ABC Home in NYC that we saw while visiting my son this summer. I liked the low crest rail and legs but the apron was very box like. I actually like the thin curved crest rail but it did not sit well as it hit incorrectly in the back. It also took 5 pieces of wood the long back, a curve on each side and a short straight piece. I considered a bent lamination to do a single piece but settled on this simpler version as it is tough to align and seat 17 spindles before the glue dries and I have not been brave enough to try Hyde glue. I also thought the groove in the seat was very welcoming to be a crumb catcher that is hard to keep clean. These were priced reasonably for NYC at $1100 each and are solid white oak.

1637969078795.jpeg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS