Belt sander recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

manfre

New User
Manfre
I'm in the market for a handheld belt sander and just started to look at the options. What models do all of you have and like? Which size belt is better (or easier to acquire good/inexpensive belts)?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I like my makita 4x24. not sure what model it is but it is a heavy beast that is easy to control.

blakeyon2asd

New User
blake
I've bought the Rigid that Home Depot sales and it's good plus they really stand by their products pretty much everything I've seen has a lifetime warranty so I've got a full bunch of their products. It get used quite a lot so I normally go to home depot and pick up the diablo belts (it's like 10 bucks for a 5 pack of 3x18) if I don't feel like going there I go to harbor freight and get some cheapo belts. http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-3-in-x-18-in-Belt-Sander-R27401/100618248

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Like Fred I have a makita 4x24 - and as fred said it's a heavy beast. I can flip it over and use it to sand small parts plus it is easy to control when using as it should be used. My opinion - light weight belt sanders really work you and are not all that... heavier is better because the weight of the sander does a lot of the work for you. I also have a makita 3x21 but usually grab the 4x24 first because I just like it better.

BTW the 4x24 is just a little more than the 3x21 on amazon (links above) 4x24 is also 13 lbs where as the 3x21 is 9.5 lbs.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
I have been using the PC 4 x 24 Whisper series and it works great. As stated above, it has some weight to it which makes it easier to control.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I would look for one that comes w/ an optional carriage to give you a wider/longer footprint when sanding large surfaces (e.g. table tops). That keeps you from gouging if you accidentally tip, or rock, the sander. Also helps you flatten wide surfaces more easily.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have a Ryobi BE321 which works well. It uses 3x21 belts which are the most popular size. It works well but I very seldom use it. A good ROS is about as fast and the disks for it do not go bad. My old belts all fail at the seam. I don't think a handheld belt sander really makes sense. I'd get a good ROS or two and forget the belt sander. I sometimes use an old DeWalt 6 inch ROS that looks like a polisher for cars. It vibrates pretty bad but at maximum speed it may even be faster than a belt sander. I prefer to use a 5 inch and my latest is a DeWalt. I had a Milwaukee I really liked but if failed and I purchased the DeWalt. Everybody makes a pretty good 5 inch ROS. That's what to start with. If it isn't fast enough, I'd get a 6 inch ROS, probably not the DeWalt, however. Maybe a Bosch.

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
I've used many PC beasts in cabinet shops I've worked in, and at least for a time, they were the "go-to" belt sanders in the trade. My first own was a 4x24 Craftsman which lasted for years. During ownership, the ROS was invented and I made a slow transition from belt sanding to disk sanding (& threw out my vibrating sanders). But sometimes there are needs for a belt sander. The old, go-to PC beast, although dependable was (is) just too big & too heavy. Then I saw the (cough, cough) Black & Decker Dragster in a magazine tool comparison (forgot its rating, but it was high). After that, I bought one and am very happy I did. It is VERY light and its front wheel is 1" diameter (thus its name). The housing over the front wheel lifts up (like the hood of a car) which allows you to "plunge sand" (?), or get really close to corners! Did I tell you it's light and is easily controlable? A couple of years ago, the PC beast at a shop I worked with died, and with my recommendation, replaced it with the B&D. Everyone who used it liked it. Not only is it less than half the price of the PC, it does its job well and with half the effort. And if price is a consideration, that's only the icing on the cake!
Good luck with your decision.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm pretty sure mine is a Makita. I used it a lot building the workbench, but don't use it much otherwise. Not exactly a "Fine Furniture" finishing tool.

zzdodge

New User
zz
I have an old Craftsman, which is not balanced well. A couple of years ago I bought a Bosch 1274DVS, which is a 3x21" sander. I like it as it is light weight, and can easily be flipped and laid on it's back. However, I recently found out that this sander and all the Bosch sanders have been discontinued. So while I might recommend it otherwise, you probably shouldn't consider a Bosch as they are being orphaned.

The points on ROS are good ones, but some jobs are just right for a belt sander.

I have friends who have the 3" and 4" Makita and like them, but I have no first hand experience with them. Let us know what you get and why.

manfre

New User
Manfre
Thanks for the feedback thus far. To clarify, the belt sander would primarily get used out of the workshop (E.g. refinishing play structure and deck). I already have an ROS to use in the shop. The ROS is a harbor freight model that I've had for years. Aside from the almost complete lack of dust collection, it is not bad enough to replace at this point.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I had a dragster B&D. I gave it away. During heavy use it seems that it was harder on belts because of the front smaller wheel. I broke many high quality Klingsplor Belts on that one. I went and got a PC 3x21 http://www.portercable.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11062and have been nothing but happy with it. 3x21 are the most common belts for a belts sander, closely followed by 4x24. I gave it a thorough workout on this:
IMG_20120906_133910.jpg

That's a telephone pole made into a submarine. Mostly done with a chainsaw, reciprocating saw and A TON of belt sanding with 36 grit paper. Never even flinched.

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
Wow, Zach... I haven't had that problem with the B&D, but I do have that problem with my Ridgid Oscallating Sander lately though - I love the tool, but it's been eating up belts!

I had thought before my purchase, and as you have experienced, that the smaller diameter wheel up front would prematurely weaken the belt fabric and seperate joints, but I haven't experienced that. Let me also clarify that I don't use it that much anymore either - I probably break it out less than once a month on average.

As far as the "Weight VS Effort" thing is concerned - albeit valid - I usually apply downward force on belt sanders anyway to speed up tasks, so manuverability on & off the bench, or in various positions (me or the tool), is a big plus for me. I also find myself wanting to complete tasks faster than I do wanting to experience the joy of getting there, :).

Whatever tool you choose, master it. The make and model will be far less important.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Well it could have been that I was using it heavily for long periods of time. Maybe the heat cause glue debonding, because that is where it was occurring. It is very plausible that our methods made the difference of success and failure of the belt.

zzdodge

New User
zz
Debonding of the belt splice is frequently associated with excessive operating heat, as well as high storage humidity with some glues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS