Belated Gloats, Shop Pics, and Project Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Ok, I'm waaaaayyyyyyy, way behind the times on getting my pics posted. Soo, I'm starting one massive, probably somewhat obnoxious thread to get caught up. I mentioned in my introduction post that my current shop got a serious jumpstart when a friend unfortunatley had to give up woodworking for health reasons. I've hesitated posting pics as he is a member of North Carolina Woodworker and some of your are likely to recognize the tools. It's not really my place to discuss his situation however he is ok with me posting the required Gloat pictures. So, if these do look a bit familiar please don't mention any names. I'll also be adding responses for shop pics and other gloats in future thread updates.

Ok, so, time for the Big Daddy Gloat (*drumroll*):

1) DW746 w/sliding table, Incra LS Joinery system (accessories inluded but not pictured), Woodpecker routher lift, 3HP PC router, etc....
IMG_1230.JPG

View image in gallery

2) Rikon 14" Deluxe bandsaw

3) Woodtek 3hp DC w/flex pipe and connectors

4) HF Lathe

5) Griz 6" Jointer

6) Griz 12" Planer

in gallery​

7) Hitachi Floorstanding drillpress

8) Lots of cool accessories, addons, some of the better ones pictured here:

Ok.. soooo, I debated naming the price but I can't resist. All the above, plus other related goodies and accessories for $2000. Did I do ok?

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Ok, now for some before/after shots of the basement and additional shop pictures. When we bought the house it was completely unfinished and used for storage. You could walk in a big circle all the way around the stair case. I think the pictures mostly speak for themselves but I'll be happy to answer questions!

Before/After View from the stairs in to what is now the storage room. Added the wall to give me more usable space in the shop and keep dust out of our storage area:

Before/After view from the stairs into the shop:

Before/After view of the bench area:

Before/After of back Wall:

Before After of the Bathroom/cleanup area:

Before/After view Back door to front wall:

New Storage room Wall viewed from shop (with outfeed, assembly table in foreground):

A few other pics from around the shop:

My clever (at least I think so) way of dealing with the extra room required by the LS system:

Self Installed 60A Sub-Panel and exhaust fan:

jhreed

New User
james
Well I guess you win the award for best able to make me jealous. Looks fantastic, and what great tools. I know you will enjoy it especially since heating and cooling will not be a problem.. I have been freezing my fingers off. and last summer, sweat ran out of my boots.
enjoy
James

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Man, looks like a total shop transformation! NICE scores on the new equipment! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Excellent setup! :icon_thum

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Travis,

:icon_thum :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I believe you did very well! I have the Rikon BS and that retails for @ 800 alone!

Sweet set-up. Now for project pics! It never ends.

Congrats!

Matt

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Now for project pics! It never ends.

What a perfect introduction.... that's exactly what I had planned. I've never been very good at remembering to take pictures but I've been able to dig some up of past projects. As well as a few in process pics from this christmas. Here we go, be gentle....

Shaker Bench, while in progress:

Murphy Bed, technically still in progress. The long term plan is to add builtin shelves/cabinets on either side and to trim it out:

Table Cross (made several of these for church). The best was our processional cross but I can't find a picture of that one. I'll try to remember to take a camera to church one of these days:

Advent Candle Holder:

Herd of Reindeer from this past Christmas, fresh off the bandsaw:

Train Tray for my son made this past Christmas. Tried to make it light enough to be easily moved but sturdy enough in case the kids crawl on it. Designed to slide under his bed.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Ok, last one to get me mostly caught up and current. Two more recent gloats. The first is my little HF belt/disc sander I bought a while back for $49 w/coupon. Does good for what it is and should hold me over until I get my Ridgid OSS. Second is my new Ryobi set from the recent sale at HD. I'm really impressed with the tools so far and I'm excited to finally have a cordless Recip. saw.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
You did _really_ good on the tools. One thing I've discovered is that the accessories costs as much as the machinery (if not more!). Great work on the shop as well, and very creative use of the space (like the passthrough for the router setup). And great work on the projects.

Now, one negative comment here: Are you out of your mind??!?!?! The tools alone are worth three or four posts. Plus one thread for each project. And two for the shop. You'll never get your postcount up this way! :rolf: But nice jobs on the pics, gotta say that!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Nice looking projects and additional gloats. :icon_thum I really like that foldaway bed. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
WOW and double wow.You are off to a great start at a terrific price.You done good arranging everything.Tony

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Thanks everyone. It's kinda fun to finally be able to participate in the gloatage and get some proof of projects posted. As you can tell most of the time the last year has been spent on the space itself, and there is soo much left to do. I still can't find anything and have to figure out how to get everything organized before I'll be very productive.

I know you will enjoy it especially since heating and cooling will not be a problem.. I have been freezing my fingers off. and last summer, sweat ran out of my boots.
enjoy
James

Yeah, it's usually pretty comfortable down there. I didn't see it get much below 50 this winter or above 78 or so last summer. I prefer cooler myself but I can't complain. I will have to figure out some heating options for next year as I ran into some problems over christmas applying finish to presents during a cold snap.

You're joking, right?
Yeah. I figured I got a pretty fair price on the tablesaw/Router/Incra setup and all the included accessories, bits, and blades after which he through in everything else in exchange for me picking it up. All joking aside, I was very greatful for the opportunity. The equipment was well loved and the previous owner wanted to make sure it would continue to be. It's been pretty hard to swing but it was an opportunity I couldn't pass up.

Trav

Woodburner

New User
Mike
Nice shop… I have the same Rikon bandsaw and have had some problems with (what I consider) excessive drift. I’m on my 3rd “tune-up” and still can’t get the drift to be less than ½” over the length of the fence (which pushes the limits on the fence adjustments). Have you had any problems with your setup?

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Wow! nice shop, and not a car in sight! Great looking work as well, I really like the Murphy bed.

I'm not familiar w/ Rikon bandsaws, but are the tires original? If not, were the new ones crowned? (Of course on a newer model like yours, the wheels themselves may be crowned, eliminating the need to mess w/ the tires). I had a similar drift issue w/ my Walker Turner, and crowning the tires fixed it right up.

Congrats again, great looking workspace.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Nice shop… I have the same Rikon bandsaw and have had some problems with (what I consider) excessive drift. I’m on my 3rd “tune-up” and still can’t get the drift to be less than ½” over the length of the fence (which pushes the limits on the fence adjustments). Have you had any problems with your setup?

Thanks! I've not put a lot of hours on the bandsaw yet but so far I've been able to acheive beautiful results. I first installed a 1/2 timberwolf blade. Once I had the blade running dead center, the tension right, and the guides adjusted I ran some 6" wide RO through and resawed to 1/4 inch with no discernable drift. The hard part was the tension. I tried the "flutter technique" and it seemd to be ok but there was still drift. I ignored the tension scale and the timberwolf instructions and cranked it tighther until it "felt right". Cut like butter. I had similar difficulties with a 3/8" timberwolf blade. Again, I started with the flutter method and it seemed to cut ok (was using much thinner stock and cutting curves so I didn't notice drift so much but what I did notice was that it was actually fluttering on the left side of the blade as it left the lower wheel and went towards the top wheel. You could hear it as it knocked against the side of the frame. I called Rikon about it (Talked to Rod who deservedly gets A LOT of good publicity on these forums) who groaned when I mentioned timberwolf. He said they tend to cut their blades a bit over length which throws off the tension scale and then said something about the flutter method not working with Bandsaws that have European tensioning systems... I had no idea what that meant but the end result was that it was under tensioned.. So, I cranked it down until I had 1/4" deflection on the blade with the guide all the way up. After that it worked great!

I'm not familiar w/ Rikon bandsaws, but are the tires original? If not, were the new ones crowned? (Of course on a newer model like yours, the wheels themselves may be crowned, eliminating the need to mess w/ the tires). I had a similar drift issue w/ my Walker Turner, and crowning the tires fixed it right up.

Wow! nice shop, and not a car in sight! Great looking work as well, I really like the Murphy bed.

Thanks man! I'm happy with the way it's progressing. Sooo much more work to do though. The Murphy bed was a project of necessity at my old place. We needed a place for guests but just didn't have enough space to dedicate to a bed. I wish I had a shop when I built that one. As it was I had a bunch of benchtop/portable tools with stands cramed in a closet behind my townhouse. My projects were pretty much limited to what I could do in one day, during daylight hours, and in good weather (get up early, drag everything out to the yard, work furiously until dark, pack everything back up into the closet). The result was a lot of smaller projects (as seen above) and big projects that were quite rushed. For the murphy bed I bought and hauled all the wood the first day and, with the help of a friend, did my best to quickly run through the entire cutlist in one shot. The second day was spent frantically trying to assemble all those pieces into a working bed and compensating for all the things that weren't quite right since I did all the cutting at once and in a rush. The result was a very functional bed that has a lot of flaws that drive me crazy (but most non-woodworkers would never notice). Given the circumstances I'm happy with the way it turned out. It's now been moved to the "bonus" room in our current house and gets heavily used by friends and family. It's nice though casue when they leave we can fold it back up and the room goes back to being my office/music/exercise/"not sure what to do with this so throw it in there" room. I am looking forward to building it out on either side and installing some pretty trim to cover all the ugly spots. One thing at a time though....

I honestly don't know if it's the tires or the wheels themselves that are crowned, I've not looked close enough to find out. I do know that the blade is happiest when it's right down the middle (not tried anything bigger that 1/2 though so that might not be true for the 3/4 blade).

Travis

Woodburner

New User
Mike
Thanks! I've not put a lot of hours on the bandsaw yet but so far I've been able to acheive beautiful results. I first installed a 1/2 timberwolf blade. Once I had the blade running dead center, the tension right, and the guides adjusted I ran some 6" wide RO through and resawed to 1/4 inch with no discernable drift. The hard part was the tension. I tried the "flutter technique" and it seemd to be ok but there was still drift. I ignored the tension scale and the timberwolf instructions and cranked it tighther until it "felt right". Cut like butter. I had similar difficulties with a 3/8" timberwolf blade. Again, I started with the flutter method and it seemed to cut ok (was using much thinner stock and cutting curves so I didn't notice drift so much but what I did notice was that it was actually fluttering on the left side of the blade as it left the lower wheel and went towards the top wheel. You could hear it as it knocked against the side of the frame. I called Rikon about it (Talked to Rod who deservedly gets A LOT of good publicity on these forums) who groaned when I mentioned timberwolf. He said they tend to cut their blades a bit over length which throws off the tension scale and then said something about the flutter method not working with Bandsaws that have European tensioning systems... I had no idea what that meant but the end result was that it was under tensioned.. So, I cranked it down until I had 1/4" deflection on the blade with the guide all the way up. After that it worked great!

Thanks man! I'm happy with the way it's progressing. Sooo much more work to do though. The Murphy bed was a project of necessity at my old place. We needed a place for guests but just didn't have enough space to dedicate to a bed. I wish I had a shop when I built that one. As it was I had a bunch of benchtop/portable tools with stands cramed in a closet behind my townhouse. My projects were pretty much limited to what I could do in one day, during daylight hours, and in good weather (get up early, drag everything out to the yard, work furiously until dark, pack everything back up into the closet). The result was a lot of smaller projects (as seen above) and big projects that were quite rushed. For the murphy bed I bought and hauled all the wood the first day and, with the help of a friend, did my best to quickly run through the entire cutlist in one shot. The second day was spent frantically trying to assemble all those pieces into a working bed and compensating for all the things that weren't quite right since I did all the cutting at once and in a rush. The result was a very functional bed that has a lot of flaws that drive me crazy (but most non-woodworkers would never notice). Given the circumstances I'm happy with the way it turned out. It's now been moved to the "bonus" room in our current house and gets heavily used by friends and family. It's nice though casue when they leave we can fold it back up and the room goes back to being my office/music/exercise/"not sure what to do with this so throw it in there" room. I am looking forward to building it out on either side and installing some pretty trim to cover all the ugly spots. One thing at a time though....

I honestly don't know if it's the tires or the wheels themselves that are crowned, I've not looked close enough to find out. I do know that the blade is happiest when it's right down the middle (not tried anything bigger that 1/2 though so that might not be true for the 3/4 blade).

Travis

Thanks for both of your inputs... I was successful on the forth "setup" attempt - Lessons learned: 1)the tension guage on the Rikon is nowhere near being accurate and 2)the factory setting of the upper blade guide bearings were not parallel to blade.
Thanks!!!
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS