Beginning to Learn to turn segments

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've read Tibbets book and am slowly starting to try my hand at segmented turning. Got about 104 pieces cut for a starter project.

The jig from the book that I used.

DSC_0461_800x532_.jpg

A bag of segments (all numbered and labeled) and the computer readout from a computer program called Segmented Project Planner that lists all the details of the cuts.

DSC_0462_800x532_.jpg

We'll see how this works out.

Merry Christmas all - Ken.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Just did my first segmented turning and have a couple more t do. They are fun. when I was building up the rings I found it helpful to build half rings then attach both pieces to the table saw sled and split them to get a clean joint. Much easier than trying to get perfect angles off the miter saw.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think I need to make a jig for the table saw to cut segments. My shoulder and hand are sore after cutting 100+ pieces on the chop saw.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Does anyone know of a segmented planner software for the mac?

Have you checked the program I mentioned. Don't remember if it was for Windows only or if there was a MAC version available. Also just try a Google and/or Bing search for "Segmented Turning Software" and see what comes up. I haven't really looked as I only have Win7 or Android machines.

The thing I really liked about the software I downloaded and decide to pay for was that it had many video tutorials explaining its use.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ken you inspired me to give it a try. The brown truck just dropped off the Malcolm Tibbetts's book. Sinced this is a slow week I might even get time to look at it.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I spent about 4 hours Saturday visiting with Charlie and he taught me a lot. Unfortunately I didn't stop long enough to take any pictures. But he showed me some things about my planned vase and turned one from scratch while I was there. (the pieces were already cut and the rings glued up.) I came away with a ton of good ideas and techniques - way more than I got from the book and DVD's.

Thanks much Charlie.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
I spent about 4 hours Saturday visiting with Charlie and he taught me a lot. Unfortunately I didn't stop long enough to take any pictures. But he showed me some things about my planned vase and turned one from scratch while I was there. (the pieces were already cut and the rings glued up.) I came away with a ton of good ideas and techniques - way more than I got from the book and DVD's.

Thanks much Charlie.

You went to the best source around here. I learn something every time I visit.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well, I ran into a minor problem. The drum sander works fine on rings 4+ inches but anything less than 4" gets stuck and won't continue through on the belt. Guess there is a minimum length item that will go through it.

How have others solved this. Do I just make a sled to feed them through with a lip on the back or will it have to have sides that also get sanded down each pass. Or is there another simple solution.

Back to Read the Manual I guess.

Last edited:

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I would be careful of that method if the piece is short enough to stop between the infeed and outfeed rollers. I would much rather go with a sled that has side rails and back lip the same thickness as what you want to sand. Even that may be risky-----just my 2 cents----I have never tried sanding something shorter than the distance between rollers. My opinions are based on using a 38" wide Woodmaster single drum sander.

Jerry

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Ken,

The shortest piece that should be run through a drum sander should be long enough to be contacted by both pressure rollers simultaneously. With that being said, I do run rings through my sander that are contacted by the drum and one pressure roller with no problems.

For the smaller rings, true up the one face that will be glued to the adjacent ring on your disc sander.
Then true up the other face on the lathe.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Got the second ring roughed out round outside and rough shaped inside. Gluing up the third ring as we speak.

DSC_0487_800x532_.jpg

DSC_0488_800x532_.jpg

A beginning.

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
Ken. I just put this clamp on my jig and I like it a lot more than the one in the book

image-2809863858.jpg

What I don't have is a thickness sander so I true up one side in my cole jaws and sand it with a flat board and glue up the ring like this

image-3935982400.jpg

I use a cone in my tail stock to hold the chuck and let it sit for a little bit and then put it on my bench with a ten and a five pound metal weight on the chuck I do the top half of the vase the same way but use a face plate instead of a chuck

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Some WIP pictures. Getting close to final.

The vase has a total of 13 rings - 3 Walnut and 10 Maple. The bottom rings have been glued up and the inside roughed out as we went. The outside of the rings were just made round but not shaped yet.

DSC_0494_800x532_.jpg

DSC_0495_800x532_.jpg

The top or neck of the vase is still being glued up and the inside roughly finished as I go along. I'm finding that I need a hollowing tool to get into the top of the neck opening better. Even my mid-sized Easy Wood Tools are having a hard time getting in there good.

This is the neck with the 5th ring glued but not yet turned.

DSC_0496_800x532_.jpg

The sixth and seventh ring will be glued like this.

DSC_0497_800x532_.jpg

And the whole thing will go together like this - approximately.

DSC_0498_800x532_.jpg

Just got back from the lathe and rough turned the inside of ring 5 and rounded the outside. So time to glue up ring 6.

DSC_0499_800x532_.jpg

DSC_0500_800x532_.jpg

Its a process.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Ken, you are doing really good work...it doesn't look like a beginner's project to me! As you know, I am not a turner, but watching our Wounded Warriors, Firefighters, and youth turn during our outreach sessions, the bug has bitten...at some point soon I will be diving into the Turners Pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS