Before I join the herd and buy the DeWalt planer

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Don't sweat the blade cost. There are plenty of blades for the 735 that are much cheaper than the OEM Dewalt blades. (This is probably the reason most of these planers being sold used have a couple of new, extra blades thrown in.)

Watch for a sale on the 735x so you are getting the infeed and outfeed tables thrown in. (It goes on sale periodically. Set a deal watch on slickdeals.) Save your helical cutter money. If you end up desiring it in the future, spring then. You may very well find you never need it.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Did a quick survey:
Most are $52
Found e-bay for $25. Not to bad. Run e-bay on my Delta and they have been fine. Not many sources, but buy in bulk I guess.
Infinity has carbide tipped for $230
Shelix head, $425 4 row, 40 tip, 10 pack $25
Grizzly head for $360, 3 row, 30 tips. 10 pack $62

I am waiting to see what DeWalt says about the current draw. I bet the first answer will be just start up and I will have to ask again with big bolt type. I hate to say that, but the bigger the company, the less informed customer service tier one is. Sometimes, companies figure out 3-tier is actually more expensive than 1. I am not sure they teach the ROE on a happy customer in the Harvard Business School. Not hard numbers. Automated makes customers even madder. TO call my Dr. office at Duke, it takes over 10 minuets of automated messages. Every "press #" goes and plays the same " we are taking care due to OVID" message. Third of fourth time, one gets aggravated.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Went from a Delta 22-580 to the DeWalt 735X last year. Huge improvement. Wood comes out a lot smoother and dust collection is a ton better. That being said it is loud.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Did a quick survey:
Most are $52
Found e-bay for $25. Not to bad. Run e-bay on my Delta and they have been fine. Not many sources, but buy in bulk I guess.
Infinity has carbide tipped for $230
Shelix head, $425 4 row, 40 tip, 10 pack $25
Grizzly head for $360, 3 row, 30 tips. 10 pack $62

I am waiting to see what DeWalt says about the current draw. I bet the first answer will be just start up and I will have to ask again with big bolt type. I hate to say that, but the bigger the company, the less informed customer service tier one is. Sometimes, companies figure out 3-tier is actually more expensive than 1. I am not sure they teach the ROE on a happy customer in the Harvard Business School. Not hard numbers. Automated makes customers even madder. TO call my Dr. office at Duke, it takes over 10 minuets of automated messages. Every "press #" goes and plays the same " we are taking care due to OVID" message. Third of fourth time, one gets aggravated.

While your mileage may vary, I've been running a $25 Ebay set since April 2019. I'm not a heavy user by any stretch but they seem every bid as good as my original set. (Note: You get a fair amount of wear out of the Dewalt design. Not only are they two-sided, you can reposition/offset them to eliminate nicks that develop over time.

We need someone to hook their planer up to one of those kill a watt things. (I could run it through a smart plug but those things aren't rated to 20 amps. I'd hate to cook one on whim.)

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have a loop I can use with my amp-clamp. But of course, do not have the planer yet. Waiting to see what DeWalt says. Concentrating on the DC system first.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS