Beeswax for cutting boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

njohnston924

New User
Nate
Hi all. What's the best source to get beeswax for finishing cutting boards? Do most buy online or buy locally from a store or bee keeper?

tdukes

New User
Eddie
As a former beekeeper, I'f say buy from a local beekeeper if possible. I have several pounds that I've tried filter and get clean but it won't get there.

You can buy it on Amazon. Also Brushy Mountain Bee Farm has it. I think you have to mix with mineral oil. I saw a recipe somewhere but failed to bookmark it.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
I went through the same thing. Store bought is pricey if you’re doing a few projects.

Local farmers market may have someone selling their local honey. They also will have some wax if you ask.

Our local counties (three of them) each have some type of beekeepers association or club. I found them online. Can’t remember for sure, but I looked under beekeepers, honey, beeswax etc.

njohnston924

New User
Nate
Thanks. I checked out Brushy mountain site and it's about the same as what's on amazon. i might call around a few local bee keepers to see if they sell any

StephenK

New User
Stephen
Farmer's Markets in Greensboro have it occasionally. No clue what's available in your neck of the woods. I buy some when I see it because I know it's not always locally available when I need it.

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
Unless you're going into production, a pound of wax will be all you'll ever need. And at less than $10/pound on Amazon, it's not cost effective to chase all over creation to save a buck or two.

njohnston924

New User
Nate
Thanks for the responses. I'll probably just order some on amazon. To Dan's point, I'm only making a few here and there for gifts and such. I might get some conditioner that Red suggested and maybe some salad bowl finish recommended by Marc on Wood Whisper and other forum posts to see which I like best.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Do you still saturate the cutting board with mineral oil first and then use this butter to maintain/seal the surface? I've never used it but have seen it around.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
Do you still saturate the cutting board with mineral oil first and then use this butter to maintain/seal the surface? I've never used it but have seen it around.

hat's the way I do it. Just get the mineral oil from the pharmacy section. Its less expensive that way.
T

Jeff

New User
Jeff

Either way works just fine in my experience. I often put a freshly oiled or buttered cutting board in the kitchen oven set at the lowest temperature (warm) and let it set for an hour or so. Then wipe it down. BTW, the wood doesn't have to saturated, and that's a popular misconception.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Either way works just fine in my experience. I often put a freshly oiled or buttered cutting board in the kitchen oven set at the lowest temperature (warm) and let it set for an hour or so. Then wipe it down. BTW, the wood doesn't have to saturated, and that's a popular misconception.

Interesting...I've always used multiple coats until saturated to prevent smelly liquids from soaking in.

njohnston924

New User
Nate
Is there a difference between white and yellow beeswax? From what I see white is filtered more? is there a difference in the appearance in the wood?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Is there a difference between white and yellow beeswax? From what I see white is filtered more? is there a difference in the appearance in the wood?

No, other than the color and by the time you mix that with mineral oil you'll barely notice a difference. It won't affect the wood appearance like a yellow dye.

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member

There is a difference in appearance only. From my experience as a beekeeper, white wax is new comb that the bees have built in the hive but have not used to store brood, pollen, or honey. Once it's used, the color of the wax becomes yellow where they store honey and pollen and black where they raise brood. Once the used wax is processed, it comes out a nice yellow color. I've not processed the white wax comb, so I can't be 100% sure that it stays white.

Here's info from wikipedia:
"The new wax is initially glass-clear and colourless, becoming opaque after mastication and adulteration with pollen by the hive worker bees. Also, the wax becomes progressively more yellow or brown by incorporation of pollen oils and propolis. The wax scales are about 3 mm (0.12 in) across and 0.1 mm (0.0039 in) thick, and about 1100 are required to make a gram of wax.[SUP][3][/SUP]"

I also have not used any beeswax on wood, so I can't give you help there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS