Been a member for a while... finally posted

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckenziedrums

New User
Tim
I've met a few folks from the board when I buy/sell stuff locally and I'm pretty sure I've emailed a few regarding pens, etc. In any case figured it was time to come out of lurker mode and do some posting.

I'm a newbie woodworker that got sucked into it through my hobby of building drums. I work with folks that build stave and steambent drum shells and somewhere along the way decided I should try to make some saw dust too.

If anyone in Charlotte ever wants to get to learn about HVLP sprayed finishes look me up... I mentioned it in another post but I learned to spray glass smooth finishes before I even owned a table saw. It's one of the unfortunate demands of building and finishing drums I suppose. However, that meant the first time I decided to build another project the finishing part didn't terrify me like I've heard it does so many other woodworkers. :)

I've got a lumberjocks profile under this same name with a couple projects posted there. Haven't had much time to do anything lately but hopefully in the fall I'll be able to do more making of saw dust.

-Tim McKenzie

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Welcome Tim! We have a number of folks who build musical instruments here, so you'll fit right in. Glass smooth finishes you say? Any chance I can motivate you to move a little further east? :)

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Welcome Tim,

Glad to have another Charlotte member, love the drums on your site! Great to have another NCWW member who know's the finishing side.

MIke

mckenziedrums

New User
Tim
Thanks all :) Now if I could figure out how to actually build stuff I'll be the complete woodworker right? lol

Attached a photo of the first "fine woodworking" project I ever took on. This was about 2 years ago now I guess. Figured it would be easiest to start working from plans first and these claimed it was "easy." Incidentally, they lied. For a complete newbie to fine woodworking I probably bit off more than I should have but after much careful careful careful measuring, and more measuring, and then finally cutting, and possibly recutting... I think it came out great. Was my first chance to apply my finishing skills to something that wasn't a cylinder as well. :D
JewelryBoxCleared_3.jpg

View image in gallery

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Tim,

Glad to have you on board. Thanks for posting the photo of the great looking chest. Perhaps those of us who really don't like the finishing aspect of woodworking (that's probably everyone else here but you:BangHead::gar-La;) can just bring our completed pieces to you for finishing.:wwink:

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Matt

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Welcome
Glad you've posted, and what a start. Great looking piece!
There are other sites but I've never found a friendlier one than right here!
Hope you'll agree-

-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS