Beech tree available for custom milling

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhancock

New User
Josh
Hi all, I know there are some tool makers on here that are sometimes looking for beech in uncommon sizes. I have an 11 foot beech log, 18 in at small end, available that was just delivered to our yard. 140 bf estimate on international scale. We can mill it how you like at 1.50 bf. Pm me if interested. 20180325_135002.jpg20180325_134946.jpg

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Josh, beech is frequently used to make hand planes. It should be quartersawn at least 3" thick and preferably 4" thick. From an 18" log, you will only net about 4 full length QS blanks around 6" wide w/o pith wood.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It should be quartersawn at least 3" thick and preferably 4" thick. From an 18" log, you will only net about 4 full length QS blanks around 6" wide w/o pith wood.

Just a curious math exercise for me. How'd you get those numbers from the 18" diameter?

I'm having trouble visualizing what's the cut sequence of the intact 18"d log on the saw bed and maybe my thought process is wrong (4 log quarters at 9" diameter x 11'). :icon_scra Kudos to our sawyers for having this figured out!

QS_beech.jpg

jhancock

New User
Josh
Scott, I am tracking on the quartersawn part. Of course if someone was making molding planes their would be smaller and wider. AaIwould be smaller. I have a bunch of blanks that we cut a few years ago waiting for the day I get around to making planes. Jeff, it just goes with knowing the logs and just visualing it.

I lut this up because there have been members in the past expressing frustration finding plane making stock, which doesnt seem to be the case right now. Given the rather narrow market for plane blanks we wont cut and have them take up space, unless of course we had a customer that we specifically know wants them. We will most probably cut it into our normal 4/4 and 6/4 this weekend.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
you should contact Caleb James in Simpsonville SC - he makes planes - not sure where he gets his wood / blanks

jhancock

New User
Josh
Jeff, using a compass the better, more perpendicular QS grain is found in the N S E and W quadrants, as opposed to the NW NE SE and SW areas, where the grain starts edging closer to 45 degrees. Also there is loss close to the pith with the juvenile wood and loss with the sapwood to account for. It is much easier to show in person, as I do not have any suitable pictures. This saturday I may take some and post them.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Just a curious math exercise for me. How'd you get those numbers from the 18" diameter?

I'm having trouble visualizing what's the cut sequence of the intact 18"d log on the saw bed and maybe my thought process is wrong (4 log quarters at 9" diameter x 11').:icon_scra Kudos to our sawyers for having this figured out!

QS_beech.jpg

Take the 18” diameter and cut it in half, leaving you 9” per log half. Now allocate about 1.5” for sapwood to be trimmed off, and pull a 3x3 out of the center (1-1/2” per side). You’re left with a QS piece 6” wide.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow, my mistake. I didn't realize this was a one sawmill forum. Have a good one.

Josh,
It isn't - there is enough business for EVERYONE to benefit with our broad reach in the Southeast!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Take the 18” diameter and cut it in half, leaving you 9” per log half. Now allocate about 1.5” for sapwood to be trimmed off, and pull a 3x3 out of the center (1-1/2” per side). You’re left with a QS piece 6” wide.

Take the 18” diameter and cut it in half, leaving you 9” per log half.

The log was cut in half, giving an 18" diameter half round piece. Cut that one in half again and there's 2 pieces (9" each). Gotcha, but semantics can be confusing.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
The log was cut in half, giving an 18" diameter half round piece. Cut that one in half again and there's 2 pieces (9" each). Gotcha, but semantics can be confusing.

Its not semantics - its cutting the pith out of the tree so it doesn't affect the good lumber...

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Its not semantics - its cutting the pith out of the tree so it doesn't affect the good lumber...

You're right about removing the pith after the 18" d log is cut into 4 quarters (9" each). The first 2" from the apex is pith wood and will be removed.

QS_beech.jpg

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Pith wood is best measured as the first 15 years of growth rings, and not as inches. The real concern is the juvenile wood cells, which are usually formed in the first 15 years or so of the tree’s growth.

Today, most logs are 3 or 4rth growth so the growth rings are usually 1/4” wide, or thereabouts, so a 3x3 or 4x4 from the pith usually represents the first 15 years of growth rings.

However, on old growth logs with very tight growth rings, the first 15 years may all be contained in the center 1-1/2” of the log.

Thus, it’s best to count growth rings and use that as a determination of where to edge versus a standard inch measurement.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Pith wood is best measured as the first 15 years of growth rings, and not as inches. The real concern is the juvenile wood cells, which are usually formed in the first 15 years or so of the tree’s growth.

Today, most logs are 3 or 4rth growth so the growth rings are usually 1/4” wide, or thereabouts, so a 3x3 or 4x4 from the pith usually represents the first 15 years of growth rings.

However, on old growth logs with very tight growth rings, the first 15 years may all be contained in the center 1-1/2” of the log.

Thus, it’s best to count growth rings and use that as a determination of where to edge versus a standard inch measurement.

Scott, did anyone tell you (at least today) how smart you are?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Wow, my mistake. I didn't realize this was a one sawmill forum. Have a good one.

????

Josh, we have quite a few millers that participate on NCWW. Many of the members know me because I’ve been a member almost since the beginning of the board, and also because I used to serve on the Board.

Your insight, ideas and product is most welcome here. If I said anything that could be construed otherwise, you have my sincere apology.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Josh, we have members in Fayetteville and along the coast constantly asking for saw mills and good lumber so please keep posting and promoting your saw mill. Are you listed in our sawmill and lumber listings? If not please PM your info and I will be sure to list you.

Scott has been here since nearly the beginning of this forum and has educated many of us on the finer points of lumber, drying, milling, and other topics. He is a great resource and a good friend to many. He is helpful and generous with his time and knowledge.

Get to know him and you will benefit as many of us have.

jhancock

New User
Josh
Well my apologies, perhaps I misread some earlier comments. Water under the bridge please and Ill learn the ins and outs and style of this forum eventually.

I do actually recommend Scotts mill to customers who I am unable to fulfill their requirements on a regular basis.

That being said, knowledge (or lack thereof)of the juvenile wood and sap wood is IMHO one of the biggest problem causers to woodworkers. If wood movement is of great concern to you best to remove them on the table saw. As they will gain or lose water at a different rate.

Case in point, watch Peter Follansbee, who works with green wet riven red oak in fine furniture, he ensures to remove them both (and along with other construction techniques) produces heirloom furniture.

One of the best ways to get quartersawn SYP is to go to the big box stores and sort the 2x10 and 2x12 stacks for the center cut pieces......relieve the pith on the table saw and BOOM QS yellow pine. You would be suprised at what you find in those stacks. (Sometimes they get douglas fir in around here for 2x4 stock).

My apologies once again for my, in hindsight, rather extreme reaction. If we get anything interesting on the deck Ill post it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS