Bedroom Furniture for my son

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis

New User
Travis
I just downloaded plans for a bedroon suite that I am going to build for my son from links I found in the "Link Library" under "Woodworking Plans" I am going to endeavor to be more deligent in my posting throughout the process starting with this post. :eusa_clap I will build the bed, dresser then night stand. Here are the images for the project that was featured in Workbench Magazine. The plans can be purchased at Plans Now http://plansnow.com .

Bed:

heirloombed-closer.jpg

Dresser:

wb-dresser-closer1.jpg

Night Stand:

bedsidetable-closer.jpg

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Travis, that looks like a fun and lengthy project. What wood are you going to use? Your son will be proud to have that in his bedroom.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Travis, that will be nice. Please keep us posted. I remember someone telling me once that if he lived another 20 years and made one piece a year, then he would leave 20 nice pieces of furniture when his time was up. Sobering thought but rewarding as well. What better legacy than to leave loved ones something we have created with our own hands. Lorraine

J

jeff...

I built that bed but out of white oak instead of cherry for my daughter - it's a pretty good detailed project plan - The slats threw me for a little loop as I followed the destruction's and measured my box spring and build the rest around that. If I recall correctly the slats were something within a 16" of an inch from being just right. So I just went with it instead of trying to add a hair to every slat to make up the 16th of an inch. I mean they float anyways so what's a 16" of an inch over all those slats - nothing really... If I had to do it over again I would standardize the slat width to something easy on myself. If the box spring had a little extra play that would be ok cause with that style be the covers get tucked in between the rails and the boxspring anyways. Other than I went with full 1" dressed boards, 3x3 posts and 3/4 for the slats it was a fun project.

I'm sure you will enjoy it - I did...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Nice looking set, I like the styling.

Are you done yet??????? :gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La;

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Glad to see you back around! One Travis just isn't enough around here. :no:

I definitely like the style of these projects. My only suggestion is to check out all the joinery and make sure you are comfortable with it. On several instances, I have not been comfortable or didn't like the joinery Woodsmith used and have regretted not doing it my own way. JMTCW.

Travis

New User
Travis
Jeff,

After seeing your rocker and how complicated it was I am really worried about building the bed if the slats threw you for a loop.

Travis

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Travis,

I build that bed plan for my daughter out of Elm, then painted it white. No balls on the top of the bed posts either. The plan is good EXCEPT if you build the TWIN the rail sizes in that section are INCORRECT (they are listed for a Queen, which makes for a long queen bed!). So just note that if you build a twin ever.

Photos from my experience ... http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=1021

Travis

New User
Travis
Travis is good to be back. Been off the site working on that bench. Would have keep updated but after Monty documenting it so well I thought what was the need.

Travis

New User
Travis
Tracy had asked what kind of wood that I was going to use. I was thinking about using red oak that came off my lot but I am concerned about the quality. (See pictures below and note knot holes and blemishes. )

I feel like if I used the red oak it would give it a rustic look and I know that the lovely and vivacious Christine (LOML for 19 years) would not approve. Do you think that Cherry would give it a cleaner look? Never used Cherry myself so how is it to work with?
DSC08780.JPG
DSC08779.JPG

DSC08778.JPG

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Thanks Jermey. I am building the twinn as well. How long did it take you to build the bed?

A rough guestimate would be 30-40 hours for both beds. That was taking it from rough 8/4 all the way to a painted state. It's a rather simple plan, though a lot of small panels!

Now, I'm a bit of a weekend warrior and only get time in the shop when everything else is caught up .... so depending on your circumstances, you might move faster ...

Travis

New User
Travis
I decided to go with soft maple. There is a bed and dresser and end table in this pile somewhere. Check out the tiger figure on some of the boards and my first glue up on the new bench.

DSC08782.JPG

DSC08781.JPG

DSC08783.JPG

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I made a different Woodsmith set for my daughter. I think I'm about to make a set for my son (he is moving but I do not know where yet - he is using a loft arrangement where he is now). I used maple and birch plywood - finished natural. I save the best figured boards for the drawer fronts.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors