Bedroom finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkW

New User
Mark
You may remember the bed I finished a few weeks ago.​
And the dresser​

I have now completed the nightstands and actually finished the set. I do still have a computer desk to complete, but I will wait a bit for that.​

I'm not sure what you would call its construction since it incorporates both faceframe and what I would call furniture elements. All I know is it is very sturdy. The drawers are Poplar with Ash fronts with through dovetails at the back and halfblind at the front. The finish is ML Campbell. I dyed the wood first with a cherry toned dye then used a traditional mahogany wiping stain with 3 coats of gloss laquer over it all.​

The tops were my first attempt at using a solid surface material and I have to say I was pleased in how it worked. The brand name I used was Staron from Samsung and it worked great with my woodworking tools. The manufacturers like Corian really have a racket going, I paid just over $4,000.00 for my kitchen countertops and I have $160.00 (was able to get a couple of broken sections to make these) in these. They were the easiest part of my build.​

Heres the whole set as well as I could take them in her room.​

My daughter seemed very happy with the set and hopefully she will find my personal message to her someday after I'm gone and remember.

As always, thanks for looking !​

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Definately fit for a QUEEN!!!!!

Wonderful job, Mark!

I really like the contrast of the tops with the excellent finishing.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

You are correct. This set will last her a very long time and harvest tons of memories!

Well Done!

Wayne

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Wow - super job Mark. It looks great.

Some dumb questions:
1. Did you route the edge on the 'solid surface'? If so, what tools did you use and is that fairly easy to do? Or did you buy the peices already cut to size with the edge finish on it? Where do you order it?

2. Is there you own design for the bed or did you work from a plan? What wood did you use for the bed - is it made from Ash like the drawer fronts?

Great job . . . . .

b4man

New User
Barbara
Awesome work and design. You must be so proud and your daughter has to be thrilled beyond words.

MarkW

New User
Mark
Thanks for the kind words.

The top was just a 1/2" thick piece of material. I cut it to size with a normal carbide blade on the tablesaw. Then used their glue and joined a strip at the edges. Next I just routed the edge with my normal carbide router bits. It cuts very easily. You then use polishing compounds to buff the edges. The kind I used I obtained at Charlotte Hardwoods. I believe corian requires you to be certified to obtain the material. This looks to be the same quality of corian however.

My daughter found a picture on the net that she liked and I went from that picture. http://www.bedroom-furniture-direct.com/Porto-Fino-72-Bed-SJ1789.html It was a fairly cheaply made set, but she liked the way it looked. I'm not sure how close I kept to the actual design since I only had the small pictures.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Mark, You have done a fabulous job replicating that set, especially considering the pics you used. I have sold dozens of that particular bedroom set while I was working with Rent-A-Center. The original is made entirely of MDF (even the rails, IIRC - with a pine runner for the slats). The top is a very thin plastic/paper laminate over MDF. Sadly, I could sell that bedroom set for around $1200, or more (it's been six months since I left that company) The Kathy Ireland collection from Standard Furniture has some nice and well constructed stuff, this piece is not one of them. FWIW, Standard offered a lifetime warranty on these sets, and I used it regularly.

lottathought

New User
Michael
To be able to make pieces like that is my goal.

Incredible work.

And I like the part about leaving a personal message somewhere in the furniture.
Just make sure that you date the message and leave some family tree traceable info. (Maybe your daughter will find the message..maybe your great grand-daughter will find it..who knows.)

MarkW

New User
Mark
Sorry Rick, I missed the "what is it made of" part of your post. The whole set is Ash except for the drawer portions. Not too bad to work with but it will chip on you if your tools aren't sharp. Reminded me of Oak.

Seems alot of places sell it as cheap as or even cheaper than Poplar. According to Kyle, there is a glut of it right now as they are having problems with some infestation which may eventually make Ash into a rare wood. And according to this article he unfortunately could be right http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-2961_2968_18323-44415--,00.html

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
Very good. My list keeps growing. After I finish the coffee & end tables, a small remodel job in the den, making bedroom furniture will be next. I hope mine turn out half as good as yours.

BillPappas

New User
Bill
Looks great! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap I can't believe how fast you are..I have been building our bedroom set for yearsssss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS