Bedrock 606: opinions wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
A couple weeks ago my niece and her husband gave me this:

After 72 hours soaking in penetrating fluid, another 12 in Evapo-Rust, and a little more TLC, it now looks like this:, .

Problem is that the iron and chip breaker looks like this: .

So, I bought these to replace them: .

But, when I installed these, due to the thicker iron, the maximum throat gap I can get is this:

It will plane very fine shavings with a minimum depth of cut, but anything more chokes the throat. The Veritas irons are about 0.100" thick, and the standard Stanleys are about 0.750".

So, I think I have several options. I also have a Bailey #6 and a Bailey #7 from close to the same time era, but both have been reconditioned (flattened and repainted, etc). I can put the iron and chipbreaker from either of them on this plane and keep it pretty close to original condition. However, that still leaves me with two new blades that are too thick (all three throats are the same depth).

The way I see it:

1. I can grind more taper on the primary bevel of the new blades (both are at 25 degrees now, and I would have to go down to at least 20) which may allow me to move the frog back to get a slightly more clearance.

2. I can deepen the throat on one or more planes.

If I go with option 2, is it best to take material off the front or the back side of the throat. Front is easiest, but more critical on being straight and square to the iron. Back is more difficult due to the bevel not giving much clearance for a file or float (it would have to be less than 0.100" thick, so would be a very fine tooth).

Or, are their other options I am missing?

Appreciate any insight/comments/suggestions.

Go

I may or may not do more clean-up, etc. I am looking for performance, not looking for it to look like brand new. Depending on how it performs, I may have to flatten the bottom a tad more to get the area in front of the throat a little flatter. Sides are square to the base. I did not realize how much difference the Bedrock was from the Bailey before I got this.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Have you moved the frog back as far as possible?

Yes. Any further and the iron hits the back of the mouth.

After looking at the link dancam posted (thanks Dan), and looking at the mouth, it probably is in my best interest to clean up the mouth front edge anyway. I may try knocking down the heel of the primary bevel on the blade some also. Between the two, I hope to get enough clearance.

Go

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I replaced a Stanley iron with one of Rob's and had the same problem. It required carefully filling the mouth of the router a slight bit more open. The instructions provided in the link above provided by Dan should be just what you're looking for.

Follow the instructions to keep the mouth very parallel to the blade and you will have a well honed plane to work with.

If you run into problems, I'd be happy to take the whole thing off your hands for a modest amount and make the whole problem my own. A bedrock, really - why don't I find these things in the wild?

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
I have the same Veritas iron on a 606 but have had no problem with the mouth being too tight. Just curious about the width of your plane's mouth. I just measured mine and it measures 5/32 inch. Don't know what is standard if there is a standard.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have the same Veritas iron on a 606 but have had no problem with the mouth being too tight. Just curious about the width of your plane's mouth. I just measured mine and it measures 5/32 inch. Don't know what is standard if there is a standard.

Yep, 5/32' seems standard because all three planes I mentioned also have that dimension. The gap is just about perfect for light cuts on figured woods, but doesn't leave any room for doing heavier work. I quite often go to my #6 directly after using my scrub plane, as its mass and length are about perfect for me when flattening most of the boards I work with. Working at only .002 - .003" per cut would take me much longer and wear me out that much quicker, so for that work I want to be a bit more aggressive. The gap I have now will not handle the thicker shavings without jamming up. The reason I bought the A2 and the new PM-V11 blades was for this work, which dulls the traditional blade quickly in walnut and white oak, two woods I most commonly use. I have the A2 blades for my low angle jack, and they work quite well. The PM-V11 supposedly will last twice as long as the A2, so I wanted to see if it lives up to the advertising.

And then it could be that I need to do more work on the mouth and the area in front of it on all three planes. After looking at the video, I think I may need to do more work to get that "crisp" edge. That could be part of the problem with the mouth jamming. I just have an aversion to over-working the sole of any plane, because by removing more metal, I am also losing some of the stiffness. As for opening the mouth, I think the video answered that question.

Go

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
I just tried the 606 to see how thick a shaving mine would take. I got to 1/64 inch (about 15 thousandths) before the shaving jammed the mouth. I moved the chipbreaker back a little and got to over 20 thousandths. Also tried the Veritas iron in a 4 1/2 Bailey and the same result. The 4 1/2 Bailey also has just a hair over 5/32 inch mouth. The difference must be in the set of the frog. Here is a photo of my frog setting on my 606. The frog's leading edge does not have to go all the way to the back edge of the mouth because of the bevel on the iron. The iron's bevel nests in the little setback--see arrows. The setback is about 1/32 inch. This frog set gives me full iron support against the frog and a wide enough mouth to clear shavings as thick as I want to make. I have Hock irons in several Baileys and "K" planes also with no problems about the mouth width.

arrows.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS