Bedrock 605 1/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mine is 150...400...600...1200....2000 paper. Since I picked up the guide I have been very satisfied with the results.... but paper is a huge pain. Plus, I don't get the same results with my new chisels. Sharp...yes. But they take a lot longer than my high carbon old ones. I feel like I've got to make a change....

Patience Grasshopper!
I bet the new chisels will take longer to sharpen
Those Narex are probably much harder (tougher not "Rockwell C harder") than your old chisels.

Our metallurgy today is VASTLY different from just a few years ago...

But I will also guess when you get a good edge on them it will last longer!

pviser

New User
paul
Count me in with the PM-V11. I got one with Lee Valley's new dedicated shooting plane and I'm very pleased with the ease of establishing a lasting edge.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Patience Grasshopper!
I bet the new chisels will take longer to sharpen
Those Narex are probably much harder (tougher not "Rockwell C harder") than your old chisels.

Our metallurgy today is VASTLY different from just a few years ago...

But I will also guess when you get a good edge on them it will last longer!

I've only honed them once but it seems like it's going to take a lot longer. I don't really mind the act of sharpening, its all the fussing with the placing, wrinkling, and tearing of the paper that is wearing a little thin on me.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've only honed them once but it seems like it's going to take a lot longer. I don't really mind the act of sharpening, its all the fussing with the placing, wrinkling, and tearing of the paper that is wearing a little thin on me.
Yes,
I was experienceing the same thing - I have some of the cloth-backed Klingspore "Paper" and it works MUCH better, but it is still tedious as compared to the diamond plates.

Don't forget if you go the route of stones that you need to flatten them - they get wallowed quickly...

You do not have that problem with diamond stones...

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree with Mike on the diamond plates. Both DMT and Trend make great mono-crystalline solid metal plates. No need to mess with Water Stones if you intend to go with diamonds eventually. They have to flattened - possibly with a diamond stone and there is no advantage to them over diamonds except for initial price possibly. Diamonds are the long-term price winner though.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
DMT it is then. My new Amazon Prime account is getting a workout. Only downside...starting to hear a few rumblings from the princess....

rick7938

New User
Rick
The wife just surprised me with the six different grits of the 3" X 8" DMT continuous grit sharpeners. She got tired of hearing me complain about what a pain sharpening was using sandpaper. I love them so far. She got them all on Amazon Prime. Good luck on your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS