Bed with integrated Dresser progress

BKHam

Bradley
User
since covid hit my wife has been homebased and thus not needing the benefits of a warm garage. That extra space has caused this project to go on forever. if it was on top of my workbench, i'd have finished it long ago. but with cooler weather approaching, i'm motivated to get it done.

This is the bed i finished back in march. you'll notice it has 3 rails and an odd open spot. that spot will be filled with a dresser than faces away from the mattress. it will be the height of the headboard and go the full length of the bed.
wide view 2.jpg

i bought a few hundred board feet of air dried walnut in one of the luckiest finds. the purples and golds and light color are amazing to my eye. i have several sequential boards and i've used those doing book matches and slip matches for the bed and case.

20200921_081759.jpg
20200920_132144.jpg
20200921_081852.jpg

in the pic below, the side closest to the viewer, the 4 chambers are solid wood shelves and vertical dividers. there will be 2 doors covering the 4 chambers closest to the viewer.

the chambers farthest from the viewer are for drawers and are web frames. the cross grain pieces of the frame are M&T but not glued in the back.
20200921_081807.jpg

i bought some 12/4 poplar so i've resawn to make QS drawer sides and backs.

i have a couple special boards i'm going to resaw to veneer for the drawer fronts and doors. the doors will be veneered ply. the veneer will continue across the piece from drawer to drawer and into the doors.
the doors are a combo of inset on the side closest and overlay of the middle. same with the drawers, they will all have some odd overlay.

you don't be able to see the dividers at all. you can see the hand recesses.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Cool
Looks great so far. I will be interested to see how all this comes together.
Love in-process details. Thanks

Last edited:

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Nice work.

I think you've invented "rat a tat dovetails" bam, bam, bam bam LOL!!

Last edited:

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Beautiful piece. The wood is stunning and the dovetails are a great little detail. Can't wait to see the finished product.

BKHam

Bradley
User
Did you get them recently? if so where? They's real pretty.

it was a craigslist find. the seller was helping a friend who had the wood but didn't know much about it. he was going to sell it off by board. i made a reasonable offer for the entire lot, somewhat sight unseen. there were a couple boards on the ad that looked decent. we were loading it and I started getting more and more excited. there were no knots and it was all a full 4/4. it had never been anywhere near a kiln.

i started to get it organized, it was a jumbled mess from loading and unloading. but i started grouping boards of a similar width together and realized that i had a couple full flitches in the stack. i used one of them for this project. one i haven't touched yet is nine sequential 8 foot boards! a couple at the edge have a slight bark inclusion but they are awesome.

there were about eight boards nearly 10 inches wide, totally clear. almost all were rift or QS so straight grain. not sure if that was lucky or intentional on the sawyer's part.

best lumber buy ever.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors