Bearing guides on grizzly G0555

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead
Bearing guides on Grizzly GO555
Hey folks, looking to tap into the hive mind for some wisdom here. I have a Grizzly GO555 - 14 inch bandsaw. I have replaced the bearings on the blade guide several times. It seems like they always seize up on me. I so I’m wondering if this is just normal maintenance or if maybe I should look into a different upgrades guide system? Any thoughts out there? It is the side bearings that always seems to seize up.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
There are MILLIONS of band saws out there that DON'T roller bearings for side guides. IMHO, the side bearings are a marketing ploy, totally unnecessary. On a metal cutting band saw, it's a different story

AgingHippie

New User
Greg
Assuming you mean the side guides, I’m a big fan of Cool Blocks if you can get them for your saw. For a wide blade, you just push them tight against the blade. For a small blade, like a 1/4”, you can imbed the blade in the blocks.

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
My Rikon uses bearing guides as well. I replaced one because I did not have the clearance for the guides set properly and the bearing spun itself to death. I got a replacement at Fastenal and soaked it overnight in engine oil before installing it. That was quite some time ago and it has worked well ever since.

Make sure your bearings are not in contact with the blade but have a little clearance-a dollar bill is suggested as a feeler gauge. The Rikon uses shielded bearings so that may be a difference between it and your Grizzly.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The manual says the side roller guides are a 608 size. That's a standard skateboard bearing. Try sealed 608s instead of shielded ones. They are still wimpy little bearings.
The manual says the back bearing is a 6000 size. Again, try sealed. That size bearing is pretty light also.

Both sizes are pretty common from bearing suppliers. Low quality Chinese bearings aren't a good choice if you want long term durability.

Bearings with the rubber seals can easily be re-lubricated. Get a knife and pry out the rubber seals from the OUTER perimeter. Prying from the inner will damage the seals. As a rule only 40% of the inside volume should contain grease.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bob, that's interesting . I have a bunch of skateboard bearings I bought when I was making a steady rest for the lathe. Good to know I can use them on my 555 if those ever go bad.

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead
Thanks all. I ordered some 608z bearings off Amazon. They were a fraction of the price Grizzly wanted. Maybe they’re cheaper quality, maybe not. Either way they will be better than the seized ones I have now

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS