Bearing Drivers

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Most directions say to use a piece of pipe to drive bearings. This is great if you happen to have a piece of pipe the right size to fit outter race of bearing. I prefer to use a socket, but having the right size can be a problem. Agrisupply in Garner sells King Tony sockets for around five bucks each. It isn't hard to find a socket that's the right size. Being so cheap, I just keep them in a zip loc bag where I keep spare bearings

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
A Deep socket will work , ........... Or If you have some Ipe (Brazilian walnut) or or something harder you can just turn a 10" piece to your liking/need and use that. Ipe is the Cheapest Hardest strongest wood on the market. It is 82% as hard Ligum Vitae, nearly 3 times stronger than red oak. 1.5 times harder than hickory or mesquite. Or Black locust You can knock a bear in with that easy, I use Ipe for a bunch of stuff 'cause it is so cheap, Not a pretty wood IMHO but it is hard.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
When I changed a bearing on a planer, I was glad that I happened to have a couple of large sockets. Couldn't tell you why I bought them, but it's a good thing that I did.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS