Bear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
A Bear for the Daughter...Baltic Birch, 1/4 ply backer sprayed black put 3 coats Wipe on Poly before I started cutting helped prevent liftoff of top layer

attachment.php

Attachments

• Bear2.JPG
    Bear2.JPG
    652.3 KB · Views: 315

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice job Pete. Tell me about your lift off problem. I do not have any lift off issues with Baltic Birch. I use 3M Super M77 to attach my patterns and I remove patterns with minersal spirits.

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
Scott I do the blue tape then sprayon adhesive. Last piece had the top layer peel off in places with the tape.
Does the mineral spirits change wood color?

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Mineral spirits will not change the color of the wood. It darkens it when wet, but when it dries the wood retains it's original tones. Blue tape sticks much greater than green painters tape, which is my favorite if I can find it. Yellow painters tape is for delicate surfaces, therefore it has less adhesive so it's lubricating properties are less than blue or green painters tape. I'm planning to experiment with adhesive backed shelf paper; I've read about some scrollers that are using it, and find it's cost and labor effective. Apply it to the wood, then the pattern over it. They say it peals off very easily.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Trust me. Plywood and tape do not mix. Even the shelf liner that some people use will lift fibers. Mineral spirits will maybe darken it a shade but no more then that. The other plus is since wipe on poly is mineral spirit based you can apply the first cost of poly before it dries.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I don’t use the tape on first anymore either. Just remember to spray the back of the pattern, not the wood.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
There is another good reason to not use painters tape. I like to make the wood grain work for me. You know things like knots and swirls in the grain postitioned correctly can really make or break the appearance of a project. For this reason I trim my patterns to a bare minimum (no pun here) and I position dry on bare wood (again no nun) until I get the effect I want and then I glue the pattern down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS