Bathroom tile question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I plan to tile my bathroom this weekend and have a question. The tile will increase the height of the floor a little over 1/2 inch and I have some questions about the area near the toilet.
1) How close to the flange do I add the hardie backer and tile?
2) can I use a thick wax ring and sear the toilet or is there a kit to raise everything?

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Ideally you want the closet flange in top of your tile—run the hardi and tile up to the waste pipe underneath the flange.

Or if you can’t move the current flange up, run the hardi and tile as near the current flange as possible and add an extender.

Last edited:

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I had a similar situation when I put in tile in my two bathrooms. In one, I had to remove the existing flange and put in another. In the other bathroom, I added a spacer to the existing flange. Youtube has a lot of videos showing you how to do about anything to do with tiling and toilet flanges.

Roy G

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
A wax ring is available with a sort of plastic funnel in the bottom center that also reduces the chances of the wax seal leaking. The bottom of the wax seal is what usually leaks and this funnel shape keeps the water pressure away from this joint. There is sufficient wax both above and below the plastic to seal as a normal wax ring does. It's just for a little added protection.

Charley

JimD

Jim
Senior User
How close the tile needs to be is also a function of the shape of the toilet. The tile needs to extend under the toilet. You can easily have a gap as big as your grout line around the flange and then just fill it with grout. The wax ring needs to seal against something solid - but grout is solid.

My last two times I did this it was a major remodel and the plumber got the flange at a good height where it was pretty flush with the tile. But I've had it below the tile before and I didn't get a leak. But regardless of the elevation, I use a wax ring at least one level above the cheapest - they are still cheap - to get more wax and perhaps more importantly softer wax. The cheapos tend to be really hard and they do not want to move when you lean on the toilet nor are they sticky enough to give you a good seal. I routinely take the ring out of the box at the store and make sure I can dent it pretty easily with finger pressure.

My favorite way to cut the hole for the flange is with an angle grinder and cheap concrete cutting blade. You can cut a circle with it. The cut line will be thick as you go around in a circle but it will do it. It will also generate a lot of dust so you want to do it outside. I find that to be a lot easier than straight cuts and the nipper. But both work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS