Basswood as secondary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Hey Folks,

I'm getting ready to start on my Gerstner model 2610 knockoff machinist cabinet and had a question on secondary wood. I plan to use QS Red Oak for the main wood - cabinet sides, top, drawer fronts etc. and some cutoffs of maple I have laying around for the drawer runners.

I'm considering using some basswood I've had in the (indoor) lumber rack for a couple of years for (a) bottom panel, top tray bottom and back -trimmed with QSRO on the visible edges and (b) for the drawer box sides and backs.

My research says it's a good choice from what I have in stock. Anybody have any thoughts on issues I haven't thought about?

Panels are 1/2" thick and drawer boxes are 3/8".

Gerstner_2610_Knock.PNG

Thanks!
Chris

Cbozz

Chris
User
Only real issue with baswood is that it's really soft. Scratches and dings easily, and will wear quickly in any abrasive use.

I probably wouldn't make drawer sides out of it.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Chris,

I'm midway through assembly of a real Gertner 2610 tool chest kit (I'm documenting it with pictures, trust me). Their kits use QS White Oak for the drawer fronts, the front door and top rails (they use WO plywood for the Lid top panel, the sides and back). Then they use Poplar for the secondary wood (drawer sides and backs) and 1/8" tempered hardboard for the drawer bottoms. The small drawer slides are hard maple. The solid WO is mostly 9/16" thick and drawer Poplar is 3/8".

I would use Poplar versus Basswood as I believe it is harder and machines well. Next choice would be soft Maple.

My next stages are to get the sanding done -- lots of hours ahead. Let me know if you need any info on the joinery.

Good luck with your project.

Hope this helps. Rob

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Thanks Rob, glad your kit arrived and you are underway! I look forward to the pictures... I plan to document mine as well.

Most of my plan was gleaned from watching the 2610 assembly videos from Gerstner, and using the published overall dimensions - the rest "by eye" for a proportional look.

Most of the joints in my design are housed and shouldered tongue & groove (dado) , a couple of fully housed tenons and milled corner joints on the drawer fronts.

Right now I'm working on a router jig to cut all the grooves in the side panels - there sure are alot of them!

Question: On the genuine Gerstner, are the bottom, back and divider joints fully housed dado or housed and shouldered?

Enjoy the build and I'll post some pictures once I get started on mine!

Thanks,
Chris

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Basswood does have nice fine grain and is very smooth wood but it is just so soft. I tend to agree with the consensus that Poplar or Soft Maple would be a better secondary wood. Seems Gerstner even thinks so based on Rob's comments. Looking forward to pics of both projects.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Thanks guys, I was hoping not to have to buy any more lumber - trying to use up some inventory LOL - but maybe discretion is the better part of valor!

I do want it to last for generations, to be passed father to son, now if only one of my 2 sons would show some aptitude/interest, I'd be all set!

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Keep it 1/4" thick and it will work fine for small drawers like this chest.

Not like you're dropping 50#'s worth of tools in there, right?

Woodmolds

Tony
User
Guess I'll take the contrary stand. I do believe in using what's on hand. As to hardness just how hard do you need? Will this chest be used every day several times a day? How much abuse do you plan on giving it? There are several vintage cabinets still in existence with white pine as a secondary wood, which is softer than basswood. Could be I'm not experienced enough to know the difference, but it has served me well for several cabinets I've built using basswood as a secondary wood.

A couple examples:
1110151639a-1.jpgIMG_20160222_191643.jpg
These drawer sides are 1/4" thick.

Tony

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I noticed both are using plywood or hardboard in drawer bottoms. Both my old Gerstner boxes have sheet metal covered with felt in all the drawer bottoms. Aluminum sheet is even stiffer and less weight.

If you do use non-metal bottoms use hide glue or just small nails to hold the bottoms in case you ever have to replace them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS