Basic Lathe Techniques Class-May 27th

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Ok guys and gals, I figured I'd go ahead and post about the upcome Basic Lathe Techniques class for those who are interested. Here is a link to the signup page and description and signup.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-...aysBetween=0&daysBetweenFix=0&monthsBetween=0http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/7E1DB04A/mac/template.mac/loadHtmlPage?htmlPage=kalendar.htm

The purpose of this lathe class is to teach basic turning fundamentals. From roughing the stock round to turning the three basic shapes of turning which are beads, coves, and straights. Once you can turn these three components you can turn any thing you want in terms of spindle turning. We will probably even have time to do a little face turning (ie bowls).

For bowl turning you will have to add a bowl gouge to the tools list. About the only thing we won't cover will be hollow vessel turning.

The Class will start with the opening of the store and stop with the closing of the Hickory Klingspore's store 9am to 5pm or when everyone gets tired. :)

If you are interested you can sign up right through Klingspor's website or call the Hickory Shop at 828-326-WOOD

Thanks,

John

Last edited:

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Hey John,

I have never done any turning and would like to give it a try but . . .
Not having the required tools is a bit of an issue.
I don't want to (can't afford to) buy the tools and then find out I don't really want to continue with turning. Soooooooo . . . is there any way to get some tools on loan for the class? If so I'm in.

pete

woodguy1975

New User
John
Sure, I've got a few tools. I know I have enough for a couple folks to be covered for the class. I can talk to the woodworking shop about them getting a loaner set too. :)

Just signup through Klingspore's site or call them. :icon_thum

Thanks,

John

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Pete.. failing the loaner tools, Harbor Freight has a pretty cheap set of tools. You wouldn't be out too much if you decided you hated turning. (unlikely)

You can see the set here

I completely fell in love with turning the first time I laid tool to wood on a lathe.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Been talking it over with the LOML . . . It's not so much the cost of the tools for the class but how much it will cost me if I decide I want to get into turning. Lathe plus acessories = big bucks + more stuff in my already crowded space & I'm already short on time to finish my current and already planned projects. Hummmmmm, sounds like I should stick with what I'm doing for now.

I shall ponder and procrastinate for another day or 2.

pete

woodguy1975

New User
John
Tekkadan said:
Been talking it over with the LOML . . . It's not so much the cost of the tools for the class but how much it will cost me if I decide I want to get into turning. Lathe plus acessories = big bucks + more stuff in my already crowded space & I'm already short on time to finish my current and already planned projects. Hummmmmm, sounds like I should stick with what I'm doing for now.

I shall ponder and procrastinate for another day or 2.

pete

Turning adds a whole new capability to making projects. Turned legs, custom rosettes, make your own knobs,... lots of cool stuff. It can get pricing, but it can also be as simple as a mini lathe and basic set of tools.

Thanks,

John

cskipper

Cathy
Which still runs into a considerable amount of money. Until you get into the big fancy lathes, most of the cost is the other stuff! I could use a refresher, but I think that's the first time we actually have a free weekkend. Hmmmm

Last edited:

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Hey John,
Just wanted to let you know...after much pondering I decided to pass on the lathe class. Money is an issue, but mostly it is time that tipped the scales. I currently have a a bunch of projects to complete and limited time to work on them. So for now I'll be concentrating on getting current projects done. I'm sure your class will fill up so it's my loss for missing out. Maybe next year.

pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS