Basic hand tool set?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Would you be able to build basic home furniture (very basic- think 1800s furniture) with this modern set of hand tools?
What else would you need?

Build or Purchase a Solid Wooden Workbench

Bench Dogs, Holdfasts

Jack Plane

Jointer Plane

Smoothing Plane

Block Plane

Router Plane

Rabbet Plane

2 Panel Saws: Rip and Cross Cut

Saw files, saw set, saw vise,

1-3 Back Saws
(1) a dovetail saw, with fine rip teeth, (2) a “carcass saw” (fine cross cut teeth), and (3) a larger tenon saw used for cutting deeper cuts, like tenon cheeks, along the grain (rip teeth)

Miter Box and Miter Saw

Coping Saw

Bench Chisel Set

Mortise Chisel

6-inch Combo Square
12 Inch Square
Try Square

Sliding Bevel

Miter gauge

2-3 Pair of Dividers

Marking Gauge/Mortise Gauge/panel gauge

Folding Rule and/or Tape Measure

Marking Knife

Sharpening Supplies

Wooden Joiner’s Mallet

a few Woodworking Clamps

Card Scraper

Brace and set of bits

Draw knife
Spokeshave
Screwdrivers
Hammer
Pencils

Misc. Supplies
Glue
Sandpaper
Nails
Screws
Hinges

Additional timber frame and lumber tools

Axe
Small ax/hatchet
Froe
Adz
Two man saw
Frame saw for resawing boards
Large slick
Framing chisels
Large square
Bark spud

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Larger than many a set. Maybe several profile router planes as the need arises? Consider a journeyman had to fit everything into one box he could carry.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I would think a small ADZ , wide blade Axe and longer bow-saw would be on a homestead.
Also a misery whip (2 man saw) we had one. Dad and I competed once with one- came in 11th out of 12 :D

gritz

New User
Robert
You didn't state what the level of materials processing you are assuming the process would begin with.
My 1800s cabinet shows ax or hatchet chopping marks the plane did not remove on the beveled insides of flat paneled doors and on the back where it fits into the sides. Doors are pegged M&T. Drawers are dovetailed. One side is 7/8" thick and the other is 1.25" It also has a simple ogee trim piece at the top. The base skirt is not original.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Definitely add a pencil, and maybe a few hollows and rounds to make moldings as needed. I have built several pieces with less. Any bench appliances could be built when or as needed. That said if I were to say land in the early 19th century, I’d want a hatchet and or an axe In that kit.

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
Would you be able to build basic home furniture (very basic- think frontier 1800s) with this set of tools? What else would you need? Build or Purchase a Solid Wooden Workbench Bench Dogs, Holdfasts Jack Plane Jointer Plane Smoothing Plane Block Plane Router Plane Rabbet Plane 2 Panel Saws: Rip and Cross Cut Saw files, saw set, saw vise, 1-3 Back Saws (1) a dovetail saw, with fine rip teeth, (2) a “carcass saw” (fine cross cut teeth), and (3) a larger tenon saw used for cutting deeper cuts, like tenon cheeks, along the grain (rip teeth) Miter Box and Miter Saw Coping Saw Bench Chisel Set Mortise Chisel 6-inch Combination Square Try Square Sliding Bevel 2-3 Pair of Dividers Marking Gauge/Miter Gauge Folding Rule and/or Tape Measure Marking Knife Sharpening Supplies Wooden Joiner’s Mallet a few Woodworking Clamps Card Scraper Brace and set of bits Draw knife Spokeshave Screwdrivers Hammer

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
With the thought that a lot of basic furniture was made from green wood, I would include a froe, froe maul, and hand ax, with the axe being the most important. However, if including the froe, then you are getting into the area where a shave horse of some type would also be of use. But, if you are looking for a "kit", you need to draw the line somewhere. When I built my "greenwood" stool, my hand ax got the lion's share of the work for splitting out and shaping the billets for the majority of the pieces.

If looking at early 1800's, you could eliminate the combination square. Although very useful, not absolutely "necessary". However, I would add an awl.

Edit: I see you have added the "timber tools" section, so "nevermind..." LOL

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS