Basic cabinet building book

Status
Not open for further replies.

davel_ral

New User
Dave
Hi..I just discovered this site over the holidays. "Wow" pretty much sums it up.

I've been a rank amateur for a number of years...done a lot of DIY on my house, etc. but now I'm going to try my hand at stuff that requires something smaller than a 2x4. I'm looking to build a basic cabinet structure for my garage, as well as a simple TV stand (with doors) for my bedroom. (seems that the fine furntiture people are in love with armoires...you know how big one of those would have to be to hold a 32" HDTV?) The stands that are made are only 24" tall, and I'm looking for something 28-30" tall.

In any event, there are a zillion "basic cabinet construction" books out there and I was wondering if there are some favorites that some of you folks might like.

Thanks,

Dave L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Danny Proloux has written several very good books on the subject. I can't recall the titles at the moment. Building cabinets is basically building boxes. If you break them down into individual units it isn't to hard.
As far as the TV armoire is concerned take the size of your TV plus some room to maneuver it around and allow ventilation and then design the rest of the structure around those require dimensions. I built a entertainment center for a 31" regular TV and AV equip. that way, I think there are some pics in my album. Good luck, and welcome to the site, I glad you found it. See you around. Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
DaveO said:
Danny Proloux has written several very good books on the subject. I can't recall the titles at the moment. Building cabinets is basically building boxes. If you break them down into individual units it isn't to hard. Dave:)

Dave L, welcome to our merry band of NC woodworkers. I hope you become an active participant in the forums (and forays) and post some pics of your work.

As DaveO mentioned, Danny Proulx has some pretty good books out there. I don't have any of his books on building the actual boxes but I do have one of his books titled Building Cabinet Doors and Drawers which is pretty good.He covers many different styles and construction techniques as well as hardware types in the book to include making and installing pocket doors and tambour doors that work well for entertainment centers or armoires.

D L

M

McRabbet

Dave,
Welcome to the site -- you'll get plenty of good info here from lots of fellow NC woodworkers. There are many good books available -- As suggested earlier, Danny Proulx has several like "Build Your Own Kitchen Cabinets", "Fast & Easy Techniques for Building Modern Cabinetry", or "Building Woodshop Workstations"; or Jim Tolpin's "Building Traditional Kitchen Cabinets". Frankly, I'd suggest you peruse the shelves at your local library under 684.xx to see what they have and spend a few hours at your friendly Barnes & Noble or Books A Million to see what fits your specific needs.

davel_ral

New User
Dave
Thanks....one of the reasons I asked was that I was at Barnes and Noble last night (got some gift cards for Christmas)....their woodworking selection (at least at the one at Brier Creek) was truly lacking....hence the request because I might have to resort to Amazon.

Good idea about the library though....I always forget about that. I'm also going to check Woodcraft, Lowes, etc.

Dave L

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Welcome Dave L!
You'll find this to be a jovial and talented group and we look forward to pictures of your upcoming TV cabinet. The other guys' advice is really good and those are good books they mentioned. Anytime I think of basic woodworking book, I always think of "Cabinetmaking and Millwork" by John Feirer. This is an old book probably first published in the 60's, probably way out of print, but I"ve picked up several for people on ebay really cheap (one for $2). This book is 900 some pages and was used a lot as a school textbook for cabinetmaking, furniture, etc. It's a wealth of info that covers about every aspect of woodworking you can think of. Great book for a beginner plus a good reference for us old f*rts too. Again, welcome to the group.
My Best

gator

George
Corporate Member
Welcome, Dave L. Since no one else did, I'll put in a plug, Join Triangle Woodworkers Assoc and they have a good lending library for members. We meet at Klingspor's the third Tuesday of the month.

George

woodguy1975

New User
John
I second the recommendation for Danny's book. I don't like his construction methods personally, but it is a great place to get started.

Good Luck,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS