Basement shop noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
I am planning on moving north in a few years and most likely will get a house with a basement for my shop. I'm curious if those with basement shops have trouble with noise bothering the folks upstairs. When I use my DC and thickness planner in my current garage shop i know it makes enough racket for everyone in the neighborhood knows what I'm doing and get the occasional complete from my spouse if she is watching the tube. Does ceiling insulation help?

Tom from Clayton

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
My old shop was in a basement garage and so will the new one be. The wife said she never noticed any particular noise in the old one. It was under the bedroom so I guess it might have been a problem if I were working at midnight or something. Still building the new one.

There was insulation in both shops in the ceiling rafters.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have a basement shop. I put the dust collector in a separate room, with double drywall/ green glue. It helps keep down the noise quite a bit. Insulation should help too, Roxul or the stuff they make from recycled denim should go a long way. Also, consider replacing any hollow core doors with solid doors, and floor sweeps. Not only will it keep the noise in, it'll also prevent dust from escaping.

But before spending any effort/ money, I'd try things out first. I've never had any complaints from anyone.

gritz

New User
Robert
The first complaint I got was when I was testing the Clear-vue dust collector. I built a corner closet with a double 2x3 wall. The cavity closest to the DC is filled with Rockwool sound batts, and sealed and separated from the second with blackboard. The other cavity is my air return. The air enters through a 12" high opening at the bottom, passing under the sound batt section, rises and exits through another 12" high opening at the top. I used a cheap metal foam-core exterior door. The lathe is within 6' and normal conversation is no problem. I only have some existing insulation I left in place under the living room. I do have the old 1/2" plywood subfloor, a new 3/4" subfloor, and 3/4 oak floors. That's a lot of sound-deadening mass. The wife is happy now.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
​Noise is not my problem with a basement shop. It's water! I had a problem with flooding. Fixed that with a new garage door & gasket. Now it's plumbing. I have 3 leaking pipes. Still have not gotten my X son-in-law (plumber) to come by and take care of things. Here's hoping.

Pop
:BangHead:

dwminnich

New User
Dave
Noise wasn't an issue when I was using my basement as a shop, but that might have had something to do with the 4" concrete slab between the basement and first floor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS