Barstool project complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKHam

Bradley
User
i made 4 counter height barstools. the bases are made of gum that i bought green and cheap and then dried myself. it lived up to reputation and did a fair amount of moving while drying. i didn't need long lengths so i managed.

i didn't intend to paint them but didnt like the color of the gum. sprayed lamp black milk paint and satin water based poly on bases.

legs splay front to back 8 degrees and side to side 5 degrees. made angle blocks that i used in my table saw setup, to cut the angled mortises on my mortiser, and to trim the tenon cheeks on the bandsaw. all the joints are drawbored. edges got a heavy chamfer.

i wanted to tie the ash seat to the base so i added an ash footrest. i like clear walnut and QS WO just like the rest of us. but the more work with ash, the more i like it. its hard to find a bad looking board.

i love watching windsor chair makers but that is not the style of our house. so i borrowed some of the shapes, loosely borrowed. ended up buying a boggs curved spokeshave to help the shaping. seats and footrest are finished with Osmo.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20180410_210225.jpg
    20180410_210225.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 264
  • 20180427_095117.jpg
    20180427_095117.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 146
  • joint.jpg
    joint.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 261
  • footrest.jpg
    footrest.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 264
  • final.jpg
    final.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 271
  • testing.jpg
    testing.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 260

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Love 'em. Very well done. I particularly like your footrest tie to the the seat - makes it unique,

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nicely done and your compadre' likes it too with a juice cup.

Curious, what's the wood gizmo to the left of the counter top without a top in pic 6?

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nicely done and your compadre' with her juice cup agrees too.

seats and footrest are finished with Osmo.

What is that and why did you choose it versus other finishes? Just curious, I've never heard of Osmo.

BKHam

Bradley
User
Nicely done and your compadre' likes it too with a juice cup.

Curious, what's the wood gizmo to the left of the counter top without a top in pic 6?

that wood gizmo is the most used thing i've ever built. its called a kitchen helper. essentially an adjustable, knock down, wooden stool with rails. i had some cherry boards with some sap on them so that is what i used.
attachment.php

Attachments

• kitchen helper.jpg
    kitchen helper.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 146
  • kitchen helper.jpg
    kitchen helper.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor