barley twist in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

02blues

New User
john
Just sharing with the class. Making a barley twist candle stick as practice for a bed. The mahogany is wonderful. Make this little jig to hold one piece at a time which works well too. Will post the final when done.
the_twist_in_progress.jpg

Cheers.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Looks like a fun project! I can't wait to see the finished candle sticks.

What is the string for? I thought it may be for the saw cut angles, but it doesn't seem to be the correct angle.:dontknow:

02blues

New User
john
Sorry. A confusing photo. The jig holds down the one piece that I am working on. I wrap it around the candle stick, draw it tight and secure it under the hold fast. Does pretty well.

The layout line were also done with a thinner string. On my first one I used paper strips. I have read about some using tape as well.

It is also nice to hold in the lathe for sanding. My spring pole lathe only has live centers so its a bit tough to immobilize. I think some carve in the lathe too. Need to be careful with end to end pressure though... cracked my first one. Argg:BangHead: but its all good..:icon_thum

02blues

New User
john
I can't wait to see it either! I am trying my best to be patient and take this one step at a time. Trying to plan my opening moves,collect articles, wood, tools and more and more experience. Finished the shaving horse. Next the candle sticks and then the massive lathe. After that I'll jump in. Each project is an excuse to move the ball a little further down the field. Will make future projects a bit quicker too. Thanks for the encouragement.:icon_thum

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Nice job on the candle sticks.That's a great idea for a cane.My holding jig is just like yours but my cane is not as good as yours.I used tape for my layout.Tony

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Delicate work there, John. Doing the hollow between the twists takes the patience of a saint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS