Bark/drying logs for turning......

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
While reading a book on log cabins, the author mentioned how they took a strip of bark off the log to speed up drying.

Got me to thinking about turning stock.

Anyone know if you took a strip of bark off the side of a log and sealed the ends if thats good for turning stock drying?

Jim

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
my opinion..

probably not..it will accelerate the drying process but logs can split with no discernible affect on quality or functionality..

I imagine more surface area exposed to quick drying could cause splits and or defects not desirable in the final product for turning stock.

Barbara Gill

New User
Barbara
I can't imagine how removing one strip of bark will affect anything. The best plan is to cut out the pith, seal the ends twice and long grain cut surfaces once unless of course you can go ahead and rough turn the wood.

BTW for any long term storage of logs you might want to remove the bark completely as bugs love to get under the bark.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
bark actually does keep the log surface from severe checking and I prefer to keep logs in bark and end sealed until I saw them into lumber..

but your usage may differ.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Thanks for the insight. Rest assured, this was one of my "hmmm, if a is the same as B and F left the station at midnight, how many ducks sing in the choir?" kind if passing ideas.

Makes sense to me to seal the ends.

I figured I was ....... BARKing ...... up the wrong tree. Budump bump.

Thanks,
Jim

Sir Chiz

New User
Phil
If you're thinking long term storage, removing a "strip" can be counter productive for turning stock. The "bare" side will dry faster, leaving more moisture-"weight"- on the other side. You could end up with bowl blanks that go thump thump thump on the the lathe, leaving you scratching your haid wondering why you can't get the blank balanced, dryer one side,wetter on the other side.

Birch bark is quite water resistant, think canoe, :wink_smil can accelerate spalting, and quite quickly turn to plain old rot.

Phil.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Stripping the bark on high moisture content loss per day species like SYP and Poplar may accelerate drying to the point of drying to fast. Resulting in checking or splitting - this may be ok for log homes but not for fine woodworking. If your **** bent on stripping the bark (mainly to keep wood boring insects at bay) then seal the entire log including the ends with atleast 2 coats of ancorseal. I personally would not advise stripping bark, it's gonna fall off in it's own time anyways. Good luck with drying an entire log without degrade your gonna need gonna need lots of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS