Bargains WIA show

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I used the show special for free freight on Lie Nielsen vise hardware, dowel plate and a few small items. Good to see a few NCWW folks too. My son attended with me so I had a great day.

I have their dowel plate as a previous purchase. You won't be disappointed. It is great for making hardwood dowels to use as pins for draw boring mortise and tenon joints - where you want the dowels to be harder than the wood that you are pinning.

SSuther

New User
Stan
I've rarely bought new tools, having come up in woodworking going the old tool route, often via MWTCA. Something told me to stray from that path when WIA came to Winston, and ended up buying a LN tapered dovetail saw (they had one available at the show). Also ordered my first BU plane (other than a block plane and a shoulder plane)- a LV BU jack, largely for shooting and to see if I'd like them as much as other folks have said they do. My old Stanley's work well, but hoping this may add some new capability to my collection.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
I ordered a 24" track; it works very well. The shooting planes are truly stunningly good, but even I couldn't justify the expense, as I just don't perform the task that much. They are very sweet though.

K

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
(I unfortunately couldn't make it). Anybody check out lv shooting board tracks http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,230,41182&p=72048 and planes http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=70926&cat=1,230,41182,48945? Thoughts? (I was considering the tracks and plane but thought I could check it out at the show.... Never happened).

I was sorely tempted to buy either the Veritas or Lie Nelson shooters. Handled both of them, but a couple other purchases took precedence. I think Phil sprung for the Lie Nelson.

Bapakleo

New User
Leo
Went to buy some tools, which of course I did. But, I must say the most benefit was getting to see, handle and talk at the booths of some great tool makers. Shenandoah, Sterling, Blue Spruce, Mary May, Tico & others. Was a little disappointed to not find a saw maker. Expensive? Yes, but life is too short to work with less than the best. And, who is inspired by ugly tools?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just received notice that I have some presents coming from WIA on the UPS Truck tomorrow. From Lee Valley and Stockroom Supply. Guess I'm helping the Canadian economy this week.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just received notice that I have some presents coming from WIA on the UPS Truck tomorrow. From Lee Valley and Stockroom Supply. Guess I'm helping the Canadian economy this week.
I think you will be called away from the house for a period of time tomorrow, but I think I can be in the area...:rolleyes:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Got back from the Raleigh lunch and found gifts from the UPS guy by the back door. Christmas in September.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Sounds like there was lots to see

I'm so bummed out I couldn't make it. My parents even live in W-S. I pinched a nerve in my back and have had burning skin pain for the past month that makes it near impossible to sleep and wear pants :eek:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS