Banjo build

Status
Not open for further replies.

danw

New User
dan
Got asked to build a banjo so I designed and built this one. It combines an arch top guitar style body with banjo neck.. Fir top. Maple back, sides, and neck. Walnut binding and fretboard. Ipe nut and bridge. Metal tail. Pickguard mounted pickup with hidden volume and tone controls. Leather covers head and pick guard. Sorry the pics are sideways. I tried to flip them.
IMG_0156.jpgIMG_0157.jpgIMG_0158.jpgIMG_0159.jpgIMG_0160-2.jpg

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Never saw anything like that. A sound clip would be of great interest. I'm guessing it is low volume hence the pickup.

Bunch of nosy questions.

Was the front and back carved or were they steamed and forced into a mold?
Thickness of front and back?
Is there any internal bracing?
How is the neck joined to the body?
Sides look like a continuous strip that was been around a form. Were you able to do it this way since you did not have to worry about the whole "tension the top" thing?
What prompted that design? I've seen it done (sorta) on camp ukulele and I have seen a flat woodtop banjo article in FWW.
What is up with that bridge. Never have seen one twisted like that. Some sort of compensation.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I never really looked at a banjo before but that is totally wild... I though banjos where like a cross between a guitar and a drum. Without a nut how do you tune the the string? I would guess its a zero fret kind if thing?

Play us a little bashful brother Oswald - That highborn gal of mine. ---> https://youtu.be/gpFx0ZjfRNo

Last edited:

danw

New User
dan
Top and back are carved.
thickness varies. maybe 1/4 in in middle of top down to about an 1/8. back about 1/8 consistent.
internal x brace
dovetail neck joint
bridge is angled for compensation.

banjo was built like an archtop guitar. Just a different shape. Was asked to build a banjo and didn't want to buy a bunch of parts and assemble.

Richo B

New User
Richo
Very nice design. I thought banjos had to include a stretched material to get their sound. But after going to the Museum of Applachia in TN I've found they can be made out of just about anything including bed pans.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very nice looking Banjo. I like the carving details.

I'm guessing it does not have a tone ring. Are tone rings hard to add? They sure seem to add price to a commercial Banjo.

Is the 5th string tuner knob different from the rest? Would love to see a clear picture of how it is mounted.

Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors