Bandsaws

Pathaygood

New User
Pat
Looking to buy my fist bandsaw and after looking am lost. I plan on resawing , looking at 14" with 1-3/4 Hp or more. willing to spend up to $2500.00
please help.
Thanks Pat

Echd

C
User
That's a large amount of money for those requirements. At the better end of consumer saws I'd look at Harvey's 3HP model. Harvey makes most if not all of the "european style" well known consumer level bandsaws in the US anyway.

If a 14" and 3/4 blade is all you want, a 110v rikon 326, laguna 1214, or jet jwbs14 would get you there for a little north of half of your limit.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Look at the Rikon 10-326. I think the resaw capacity is 13". Would also look at Laguna and Grizzly. If this will be your only bandsaw, think about ease of blade changes, since you will likely be going back and forth between resaw and scrolling blades.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you want a 14 inch saw I highly recommend the Rikon. If you want to resaw 14 inches none of those will do it. You would need an 18 inch saw with riser or a 24 inch saw or better without a riser.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
The Rikon, Laguna, or Harvey are all good. The Jet is a good saw, but out of the box you need to replace the guides. The ones they come with stock are just not that good. I changed them to Carter and then the saw really began to work as it should.
Regardless of what you choose, I would recommend it has a brake. Also, look at the rip fence that it comes with. Some on some of the bandsaws can only be removed by sliding off instead of lifting off like a table saw allows. IMHO cast tables are preferred.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Some band saws are designed for the "resaw" role and others are a little on the light side.

Attachments

• RESAW!.jpg
    RESAW!.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 1 resaw.jpg
    1 resaw.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 94

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
As the forum has responded several times, Laguna, Rikon, and Harvey are the tops. Laguna and Rikon have heavy duty versions of their 14's. I still favor my Harvey C-14. 3 HP. It says it can run a 3/4 blade, but I run a 1/2. The Jet has a history of trunnion failures and the quality of the Griz is a step down. Don't try to go cheap, or you will be doing the most expensive thing, having to buy twice! I don't know if the 1 3/4 HP is enough for re-saw hardwood, as I went from a useless tabletop right to the 3 HP. Never bogged down and I have sliced up about 8 inch walnut with it.

Rikon 10-353, 3 HP
Harvey C-14, 3 HP
Laguna 14 -BX is only a 1 3/4 HP though.
Don't know what a Felder costs ( OOOh, expensive!)

The feature between them that seems to be most important is the guides. How fiddley are they? Some love the Laguna's ceramic, some hate them. Other than cheap bearings I replaced, the Harvey guides are easy and quick.

Some have suggested to run a 3/4 or 1 inch band, get a bigger 18 or 20 inch saw due to the fatigue of the band. More money, but consider the larger Rikon and Laguna. Harvey does not make an 18, their step up is a 15. Kind of strange they don't. Another $500 not may seem like a lot, but it less than buying twice.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
If you can spend that much, Id keep my eyes open for a used Laguna LT16 or Minimax or similar Italian built saw. Its the last one you will need to buy, they are rare , because people keep them forever, but occasionally, they come up for sale.

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
Scott provided a pretty good summary. One thing to add though is you can get the 14bx in a 220v/2.5 HP version.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
A more practical approach may be to actually visit someone with one of these band saws that does resawing. Observe the process and see if the results are what you're hoping for. It may be that what you want to do is achievable with a less expensive saw. Youtube, forum talk, and ad copy will only go so far in helping you make this decision.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS