Bandsaw

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
My BIL is looking to buy a new bandsaw with the intention of resawing... he says 10 inches at least.
He has made a few instruments 2 Bouzoukis IIRC...

I don't even know the prices or differences to guide him.

I suggested the Hammer by Felder simply because I have seen Phil's (@Phil S) and have heard first hand how good it is...

What other (GOOD) saws are out there?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have an older version of this. Bought mine about 12 years ago. They are better now.
It will run 3/4" wide bands but in a long discussion with the original owner of Woodcraft Bands (not woodcraft supply store) He convinced me to use 1/2" 3 tooth for resaw and I am happy with that.
Can easily resaw 13 inch white oak, purple heart, what ever I throw at it.

tghsmith

tghs
User
I was pleasantly surprised when my 10" Rikon deluxe resawed 4 1/2" of European hornbeam without a problem.. its very well made for small bench saw,, the 14" inch should be a very nice saw..

smurg

New User
Marty
I currently have a Ridgid 14" which barely a step above junk, but upon researching bandsaws for a purchase down the road, I've settled into a Laguna 14|BX. 12" resaw, 2.5HP, ceramic guides, disc break, cast iron wheels and trunions, one piece frame, etc. Seems to be the bees knees for 14" and small shops. Depends on his price point though as there are capable machines at lower costs as Mike discussed.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I bought a Jet JWBS-14SFX last year and I like it. I haven't used it a lot but it has done everything I asked it to. I have only used a 1/2 inch blade on it so far but it is rated for a 3/4. The resaw capacity is 13 inches. I was looking at the Rikon Mike recommended and a similar Laguana but when I saw the Jet for a couple hundred less I bought it and am happy I did. Not having used the others I don't know what is the best but my Jet is good enough for me. All these better 14 inch saws are typically around $1200 but I got the Jet for $999 on sale.

The next level down would be a cast iron frame saw with a riser block. That might do a 10 inch resaw, I don't know. Jet offers one as does Grizzly and others. With the riser block they would have about 12 inch capacity the questions would be the size of the motor to do a wide resaw and the ability of the frame to tension a 1/2 inch or wider blade. I guess you could resaw with a 3/8 if you had to. If you are willing to cut slowly I guess it would probably work.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I love my Harvey C-14, 3 HP. Can do a 3/4 band. But you saw that. I would run, not walk away from Jet and Griz. Of course, mumping to a 20 inch is not bad either.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
If hes SERIOUS about resawing, spend the money on a Laguna LT series. That being said, I had a 20" Delta id like find a home for....

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I love my Harvey C-14, 3 HP. Can do a 3/4 band. But you saw that. I would run, not walk away from Jet and Griz. Of course, mumping to a 20 inch is not bad either.
Thanks Scott, I forgot about the Harvey - I will suggest that for his consideration.
I am thinking a couple high-end (GREAT) versions if he wants to spend $$$ and a couple or few "Middle of the road" versions with good comparative recommendations. (someone who had one and upgraded because of ....

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
If hes SERIOUS about resawing, spend the money on a Laguna LT series. That being said, I had a 20" Delta id like find a home for....
Thanks Chris, what made you choose the Laguna rather than a Hammer for example (thinking the pricing is similar)
As for the 20", he is in Wisconsin, so probably not your buyer!

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I have a Bridgewood (Italian made rebadged laguna) 18". I had a Hammer 4400, wouldve used it as an anchor for my boat if I couldve loaded it in!. No comparison between the components and smoothness of the 2.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a Bridgewood (Italian made rebadged laguna) 18". I had a Hammer 4400, wouldve used it as an anchor for my boat if I couldve loaded it in!. No comparison between the components and smoothness of the 2.
Wow! and I thought the hammer was the best I had ever seen

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
you need to get out more!
People tell me that WAY too much! :p
Remember though, my baseline is a Taiwanese Delta... that works... so when I see a bandsaw with zero vibration and able to resaw super thin... I see it as a contender...

Lhloy

New User
Larry
I have a Laguna 14/12 (it's 1.75 HP) and it is the only stationary power tool I ever bought new. Couldn't find a used one. The 'modern' welded steel design seems to make a more rigid structure than the old school (forgive me, all you old-iron people) classic cast frame designs. It is great and I really like it but I have not yet taxed it's max capacity performance by resawing wide hardwoods. Eventually I will.
I like the ceramic blade guides and I have found a neat trick to simplify guide-to-blade adjustment. Each guide assembly (upper and lower) has a fat horizontal mounting post that goes into the machine's fixed mounting block and is secured by a single locking levered fastener. The trick is to remove each guide assembly from the machine, and then before installing the blade of choice, hang the blade up on a nail and 'fit' the guide assembly to the blade, outside of the machine. This involves adjusting the backstop ceramic so the set in the teeth just barely clear the side guides, centering the blade via the 2 independent side guides, and confirming the blade-to-sideguide(s) clearance (this is important). When all done (only takes a couple of minutes), put the guides back into the bandsaw and push them all the way back out of the way. Then lace up the new blade and activate the tension lever, and tweak the blade tracking adjustment knob as needed. Finally, slide each guide assembly into place to caress the blade for a perfect alignment, and lock down. No knuckle-skinning and iterative adjustments necessary. This is one of those things that takes longer to describe than to do.
Larry

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
For re-saw, I would not go less than 3HP.

As far as I know, the market has:
Hammer 4400 3.5 HP
Rikon 10-353 3 HP, 15 inch, 10-347 20 inch 4 HP
Laguna 18-BX 3 HP
Oliver ?
Baileigh an 18 and a 22, 3 and 5 HP
I guess the Griz and South Bend "Extreme" series
Jet 15-3 and 18-3
Powermatic 1500 and 1800
Palmgren sells an 18, but only 1 1/2 HP.
Harvey C14 ( mine) and their beast, the Alpha HW615
Drake, Kalamazoo , Cantek, and others for even more industrial. You have quite a choice.

I liked the guides the best on the C-14. Some have suggested the ceramics are better for resaw. Of course, the band does all the work.

We can bet, all made by the same 3 or 4 OEMs, but to each brand spec. Just like other tools, one can look at the parts diagrams and get a hint which share parts.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
My recommendations would be
1) go big. Larger is better with a bandsaw. I have a 18” Jet and wish it were larger.
2) upgrade the motor no matter what size. At least 3 hp
3) Rack and pinion table adjustment

Positives on my Jet. I purchased at a very low price $700 almost new
Negatives the guides were crap. Replaced with Carter which are excellent and the 2hp motor is not quite enough power. Minor vibration that is not enough to spend hours to identify the issue but enough to irritate me. Table is easy to remove but a pain to reseat and lack of rack and pinion at the price range is lacking. Also original tires were crap, replaced with Carter

Jet was not my first choice but I found this one that had never been used at a yard sale and the price was much better than a new Laguna 18 inch. Which was my choice at the time

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Agree I have the same story I have a Jet and the guides were not good, changed them, and had to modify the blade guard to eliminate the side play in it. I have no vibration so yay on that. TBH the Jet is a good saw, but ....... I think if you are high end / demanding, then the Jet saws will not wow you. Probably go to the Harvey next since it is rare to find anything on Island that is worth buying used.

My recommendations would be
1) go big. Larger is better with a bandsaw. I have a 18” Jet and wish it were larger.
2) upgrade the motor no matter what size. At least 3 hp
3) Rack and pinion table adjustment

Positives on my Jet. I purchased at a very low price $700 almost new
Negatives the guides were crap. Replaced with Carter which are excellent and the 2hp motor is not quite enough power. Minor vibration that is not enough to spend hours to identify the issue but enough to irritate me. Table is easy to remove but a pain to reseat and lack of rack and pinion at the price range is lacking. Also original tires were crap, replaced with Carter

Jet was not my first choice but I found this one that had never been used at a yard sale and the price was much better than a new Laguna 18 inch. Which was my choice at the time

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS