Bandsaw

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
You folks keep talking about resawing with a bandsaw. If you REALLY into resawing here's the ticket. Hatchi CB-75F. 14.5 resaw, 2.8 hp with gear box, weight 403 lbs. 2.75 in. blade. This beast runs on 115 VAC. The only 3 I can come up with that's for sale are in Japan. In Japan the price is $960.

View attachment 201433View attachment 201433

Pop :cool:
I have one. Hitachi quit the US stationary power tool market years ago so they are fairly rare.

it’s a very well built saw but basic by modern standards.

I run a Laguna Resaw King in mine. I’ve been disappointed in the performance of the blade but not the saw.

I also changed out the motor for a true 3HP TEFC motor and swapped the factory guides for something better suited to blades <3” wide.

-Mark

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Chris must have gotten a lemon. My Hammer 4400 with ceramic guides and a 1" laguna resaw king cuts everything I throw at it. I use it almost daily and it went three years without a single adjustment, not even tension.
For curves I have a MiniMax s45n with bearing guides and a 1/2" blade. I am quite sure it would also resaw well
I thought you had a 10" Rikon for small stuff?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I thought you had a 10" Rikon for small stuff?
I do. It has a 1/8 blade with the Carter scroll guide - top bearing with groove that the back of the blade runs in. No side bearings and no lower guides. works quite well. I also have a smaller saw with a water-cooled diamond blade just in case I need to cut glass. I bought one of my saws new, all the others were used

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well he just told me that he choose...
He had some concerns with power and the height of the machine.
So he ended up ordering the RIKON - 1-3/4HP 14" Deluxe Bandsaw
Hopefully he is happy with it!
Smaller than he could have gotten, but $2000 plus shipping apparently was a deal-breaker!
Still, I think this is a better choice than a Chinese Delta look-alike...
It will be interesting to see how he likes it after it is in use for a while...

Thank you all for your help.

Whitfield

Wells T.
User
Grizzly bandsaws seem to get really good reviews. I have an older 514XF (3HP, 19") and I cant imagine needing more. I was looking for a 14" bandsaw but I'm really glad I bought a larger one.

Didn't come with an RnP table which would be nice if you cut at an angle a bunch. But for resawing and ripping (which is what I do) it wasnt a deal breaker.

Yeah, I was wondering about some of the negative comments about Grizzly bandsaws, as I'm looking at some of their 3HP "extreme" models, which seem to be well reviewed (on their site, at least, whatever that's worth). Can anyone weigh in with specific shortcomings to be aware of? Thanks!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Guide adjustments. Other than that, band saws have not changed in 200 years. Steel frame was a small improvement. Tension release really nice, but they are two wheels and a table.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
My neighbor bought a Grizzly 17", 5 h.p. band saw--it is a beast, resawed anything we fed it as fast as we pushed it. That is a great saw for resawing. I have a Hammer 3800 running a 3/4" 3 t.p.i. blade. The 3800 can handle a 1" blade with ease but John from Woodcraft bands recommended the 3/4", as did Jeff from Boston Saw And Tool in Hickory, where I now buy my bands and get my sharpening done on other blades. I get really good service, with ease of setup from saw bands for half the price of other bands on the market. My Hammer 3800 does a great job of resawing, but I would recommend the model 4400 for power--either model of the Hammer is a real workhorse and fine resawing machine; they are made in Austria. What I don't like about my saw was the low height of the saw table, which was corrected by making a mobile base for it, raising it up 5".

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Do all these 3 and 5 hp saws have multiple drive belts? I would not think a single drive belt would be sufficient.

Roy G

ShortRound84

New User
ShortRound
Do all these 3 and 5 hp saws have multiple drive belts? I would not think a single drive belt would be sufficient.

Roy G

My 3hp grizzly is a single belt with the motor mount used to adjust belt tension. When I brought it home two years ago, I went through everything including adjusting the belt tension. Haven’t touched it since.

ShortRound84

New User
ShortRound
Yeah, I was wondering about some of the negative comments about Grizzly bandsaws, as I'm looking at some of their 3HP "extreme" models, which seem to be well reviewed (on their site, at least, whatever that's worth). Can anyone weigh in with specific shortcomings to be aware of? Thanks!

Sure. Mine works great. I think the model I have is discontinued and came with a foot brake, which works well once the drum is worn in a bit. Most of the newer ones I saw have a motor break. Bearing blade guides are standard size and easy to find replacements for. Dust collection isn’t great when connected to both dust ports so I just use the lower one. Fence is ok but can flex under heavy resawing so I put a mag switch behind it to support the front of the fence. Like one of the other members said, bandsaws are real simple. Once I set it up per the Carter method, it tracks well and runs smooth as long as I remember to tension the blade.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS